transfer case question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gusbratz View Post
    I agree Charles. I don't understand some people. Must be they are more interested in making money than doing their job right. I just don't understand how they could be that short sighted. Every time they do wrong by a customer they not only lose his business for life but make an enemy out of him and he will tell all the people he knows not to buy from that guy. Maybe that seller only has a few m37 parts and he figures if he can get them sold then cares. He will just get out of dodge so to speak. (That was a good pun by accident) and move on the the Volkswagen crowd or something.
    I'll assure you that is not the case of this seller as it is their main stay business. My customer told me where his came from also. Recently each case of a bad one I've heard of personally has come from the same source. It just puzzles me.

Comment

Ineresting item popped up on eBay. I look there now and then just for the fun of it, ya never know what might pop up. Anyway with all the back and forth over transfer case seals what do I see on ebay, transfer case seal protectors. They are only up for another hour or so and the price so far is only around $8.00 for all three of them.
      I may just bid on them just to see what they are.
      I have never seen them in the TM and for sure they were not on this truck, they may be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
        Ineresting item popped up on eBay. I look there now and then just for the fun of it, ya never know what might pop up. Anyway with all the back and forth over transfer case seals what do I see on ebay, transfer case seal protectors. They are only up for another hour or so and the price so far is only around $8.00 for all three of them.
        I may just bid on them just to see what they are.
        I have never seen them in the TM and for sure they were not on this truck, they may be a good idea.
        They are a common item on a M37, but not typically worth much if you use a good seal. We've already discussed all the issues that typically cause seal leakage, and these shields won't help a single one of these issues. Actually, they aren't worth anything at all unless you operate in dense heavy brush. Even if you do they can cause more trouble than they do good, routine maintenance is endless. Brush, vines, etc will get wound up around the drive shaft, of course getting between the shield and the seal. It is next to impossible to get the tightly wound stuff out because you have very tight space between the shield and the seal. Guess what the next issue is, the seal gets sent to la-la land as the shaft rotates with junk wound up around it. I thought I would like them on my truck when I used it in the grading business years ago until I saw they caused more problems than they did good by far. Took them off after a short while, no problems since.

Comment

I installed new bearings, input shaft and gear. I turned a needle bearing installation tool and the center gear pilot shaft. Everything worked out great. I have a 500lb. hydraulic die cart that I put the case on to install. I removed the handle on the cart and only had to jack up the rear of the truck a couple of inches to get the case to clear the frame, after that, I let the truck back down and it only took a half hour at most to reinstall. Thanks for all the help.

CT

Comment

Working...
          X