No announcement yet.

Brake Grease!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are absolutely right. Some times it is easy to see wrong stuff like carbutetor wit a chrome air cleaner or JC Whitney head lights but when it gets down to " oil washers" it can get fuzzy for sure.
    When I had the engine out it took a bit of investigation to find out what should be used as rear motor mounts. Some where along the line some one lashed up a hodgpodge of washers and some rubber spacers to hold down my engine. The rubber spacers were placed on the under side of the frame and on top of the engine flange with a 1/2 inch bolt squashing them together and a nut and a jam nut on the bolt to keep it from walking off.
    You need to be a forensics mechanic at times to figure out what has happened of the years . However its all fun.

Comment

brake anchor bolts< installing:

a little concerned reinstalling anchor bolts in new brake pad web. the fit seem very snug and needed to tap them in with a small ball peen hammer.?

i dont see that the adjusters will turn,once installed. also once I or we figure that out, I asume it does not matter the orientation of the adjusting bolt (the nut on the end of the bolt that we turn later to adjust pad), that is horizonetal or vertical ect. since the thing is supposed to turn anyhow?

for that matter how does it adjust the brake pad at all if it supposed to turn relative to the breake pad.

Comment

Originally posted by scubaasteve View Post
        a little concerned reinstalling anchor bolts in new brake pad web. the fit seem very snug and needed to tap them in with a small ball peen hammer.?

i don't see that the adjusters will turn,once installed. also once I or we figure that out, I assume it does not matter the orientation of the adjusting bolt (the nut on the end of the bolt that we turn later to adjust pad), that is horizontal or vertical etc. since the thing is supposed to turn anyhow?

for that matter how does it adjust the brake pad at all if it supposed to turn relative to the breake pad.
        The anchor is an eccentric, and how you have it oriented moves it closer or farther away from the drum friction surface.

Look at the end of the stud and see the arrow. The arrow tells you the direction it moves. Tightening the nut locks it in place.

Your initial setting at time of installation should have the lining as far from the drum as possible, so you can mount your drum.

Subsequent shoe adjustment will position the stud correctly after the drum is on.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks looked at it first thing wlo coffee and I never noticed. Makes sense. Hmmmm....then...so the oil-felt washer or anti rattle washer (which in another post a guy show he used a teflon washer undre the C clips that hold the shoe against the adjusting bolt), never "see" rotation or movement from the adjusting bolt relative to the web of the brake shoe. Odd (to me that we have the oil felt washer or that anyone would use a teflon washer there then).

But thanks.

Comment

The anchor pin does not rotate [other than a change of position during major adjustment], and therefore does not rotate with the shoe. There is relative motion between the shoe web's bore and the anchor pin.

The felt washer and formed sheet metal cup are involved in what we might term control of end play in the mounting of the shoe on the pin.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
            X