Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI gas can repair

GI gas can repair

I have a GI gas can that is rusty inside in need of rust removal and repainting to restore to use.

What is the best way of doing this?

Thanks,

Paddy

I read instructions in an old motorcycle manual that said to put several big handfuls of hardware [bolts and nuts] in the tank, add several quarts of solvent, and than shake the tank until you can't any more. Rest, then do that again. Pour it all out.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Sounds like a good method to me.

What type for solvent do you use?

Comment

Parts cleaning solvent ormineral spirits. Don't use gasoline due to the volatility of it and resulting safety hazard.

In any case, do it outside in a well ventilated area.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

tank cleaning

I have a friend who collects antique tractors, he swears by rinsing tanks 3 or 4 times with muriatic acid. I would recommend gloves, goggles, hat long sleeved shirt etc. if you are going to try this. otherwise your local radiator shop can probably help you.

Comment

There are some rust desolvers sold that may do the trick. Eastwood Co. sells car restoration products and seems to have just about everything you need. You might try them. I've used some of their products and all seem to work as adverstised.

Comment

Working...
            X