Is it just a bad clutch? I Need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just a bad clutch? I Need some help

I just got my 1951 M37 back to life, and went to put it in gear to check out the drive train. I put it in gear let the clutch peddle out and nothing, it didn't budge an inch. No scraping sound no bucking nothing. I jacked up the rear end and ran the rear axle last month but hat was not under much load.(all drive lins are connected, transmission is in good shape)

Is this a dead clutch, or do you think it is something worse? What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1951 M37 Vancouver Wa

How about a bit of history? You say you got it back to life. Is this a truck you were driving before?

Does it sound different with the clutch engaged than it does with it disengaged?

Get the rear axle up on stands and see if you can make the back wheels turn. If the clutch is completely worn out it may not be able to move itself forward.

I don't think I want you to try this, but I wonder what it would do if you try to put it into gear with the clutch engaged. If there is truly nothing left of the disc, then it won't turn the input shaft.

Put it in gear. See if you can move the truck by hand on your garage floor. If you can, that tells us something.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I guess we can assume the t-case isn't in neutral?

Comment

Do you have clutch pedal free play? Any chance the clutch is adjusted where the disc isn't engaging?

Comment

Ok, found the problem, the transfer case linkage was disconnected and stuck in a half way point, thus no movement. This one is egg on my face. The old rig is back.

Thanks fellas

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew McConathy View Post
            Ok, found the problem, the transfer case linkage was disconnected and stuck in a half way point, thus no movement. This one is egg on my face. The old rig is back.

Thanks fellas
            Ha Ha Ha, I know the feeling, you get in start it up stick it in gear let out the clutch and NOTHING .
            Your heart sinks, your mind races trying to think what did I do wrong or what broke now.
            Then the sun comes out and you find it was a minor thing and the world starts to spin again.

Comment

Working...
            X