Fuel sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel sending unit

I have all new gauges in the dash but the fuel gauge only read 5/8 tank when the tank was full. I bought a new sending unit, ohmed it at 29 ohms. Removed the old sending unit which after removing has been replaced since it has a plastic float. It also ohmed at about 29 ohms. It appears that the float hits the top of the tank before the gauge is at full upper swing. How do I fix the problem? I bent the rod slightly on the new gauge and placed the gauge in some gas in a can to see if it would swing properly. It looked ok but after installing, the new gauge only reads 3/4 full when the tank is full. What am I doing wrong? I had about 6" of fuel in the tank an the tank is 7 1/2" deep. The new gauge read about 3/4 then also.

sending unit

I had a similar problem, don't know if the sending unit was a repro or wasn't made right. I drew two lines on a piece of cardboard to simulate the top and bottom of the tank, clamped the sender to a piece of angle iron and positioned it at the top line.I connected it to a spare m series fuel gauge with some aligator clips and I had a bench top sending unit tester/adjuster. I had good luck bending it near the pivot, a little bit makes a huge difference so try 1/16" at a time

Comment

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks

CT

Comment

Working...
      X