No announcement yet.

1962 M37 Newbie in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intresting video Jared, I'll see you tomorow and we'll figure out what to do next.

Comment

Update Number Three: Almost have the engine pulled, thinking I may need to loosen a few more bolts (video):

http://goo.gl/photos/a8820E0yVr

There is a little panel that covers the flywheel. Do I have to drop that panel and unbolt the flywheel, or is it a spine that inserts? The engine is free of all its mounts but doesn't seem to want to come free?

Comment

"Is it an automatic?" - Favorite line.

I doubt this is it, but just throwing it out there: Is the transmission still attached? If so, there are some tricky little pins and linkages that you'll have to deal with around the underside of everything.

If this isn't it, I'm out of guesses because we removed mine with the transmission attached.

Comment

If you are trying to pull it from the tranny (leave the tranny in the truck), STOP. there is nothing holding the tranny in after you pull the engine/bell housing.

If you are trying to pull the engine w/o the bell housing (Leaving the bell housing and tranny in, I would sugest you not go that route either, as with no rear tranny mount the twist on the bell housing from the tranny's weight will cause you issues.

Either pull the engine and tranny out as a package, or drop the tranny and pull the engine with the bellhousing attached.

After further review of the video, near the end I see that you are apparently trying to pull the engine and leave the bellhousing and tranny in place. You might pull this off if you support the rear of the tranny, but it will be a very tough job. The flywheel will have to be unbolted from the crank, and those bolts/nuts are in a very tight spot.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
            Either pull the engine and tranny out as a package, or drop the tranny and pull the engine with the bellhousing attached.
            That's what I ended up doing.

Here we are just getting the engine free

Pulled the flywheel off, clutch was actually in pretty good shape.

Carter is coming down on Saturday if things work out so we can take a look and make some part lists, then I am going to bring it to this local guy I found who used to work for a pretty reputable machine shop that's got his own thing now. He calls me "The Mopar Guy". He seems pretty confident he can rebuild it.

While it's out I plan on doing cleaning the frame and laying down the basics. Lots of body work to do, but one thing I discovered was there was this coating to the frame and underbody that's peeling off in chunks. If you pull the stuff off, the original metal is under it in factory condition. I'm thinking a few hours with a putty nice and a hot power-washer might have parts of the truck back to new before I know it! Let's just hope.

Here is some video of the engine removal:
            https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Comment

Sorry Jared, due to our recent loss I will be unable to help for quite a while. Email sent.

Comment

Big strip down weekend (the truck that is). Some photos to share:

As JStinson asks, think these wires are serviceable?

Dashboard pulled

Empty console

Comment

Started pulling the wiring harness

Removing the blackout lights

Yikes! Did these ever work?

Comment

Dropped the gas tank. It has two rust holes in it. Should I get it fixed or just buy a new tank?

There is this mystery coating all over the undercarriage that is literally falling off. Underneath it is perfectly preserved metal! Has anyone else discovered this stuff? I'm hoping once I scrape it all off, I'll actually have some parts that are rust free.

More of the mystery coating?

Comment

Pulling the rusty brake lines. Thank God for the cutoff wheel! Some of the lines broke just by moving them. There was actually some fluid still in the system. It smelled delightful.

Pulled off the second fender and radiator shroud. Down to the frame.

Bird's nest.

Comment

I used a sawzall to cut off the muffler. While trying to retrieve the mounting hardware, I stripped a few bolts. At first I thought they were just rusty, but then discovered it was actually metric hardware! Perhaps this truck had a new muffler installed while in Korea? I ended up just banging it off with a hammer.

Anyone have any idea what this is for? It's under the driver side firewall by the steering column.

Bought some plastic bins, trying to stay organized.

Comment

Last look of the day. Parts are starting to pile up everywhere. Operation "Store Rusty Parts" in effect. More to come.

Comment

Could It Be

Anyone have any idea what this is for? It's under the driver side firewall by the steering column.

The Dimmer Switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post

The Dimmer Switch?
                              I second the motion.

Jrod, I wish my frame had that coating on it. Judging by the condition of the metal underneath, looks like you scored big time.

Looking forward to the build!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post

The Dimmer Switch?
                                Hmm, I like it.. I like it....

Comment

Working...
                                X