No announcement yet.

1962 M37 Newbie in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like AJP? That's where I got mine also. Carter, I think I'd be a little numb still, Hugs to your bride.

Comment

Made a little progress this week. Kind of tough when you don't have an indoor facility and daylight fades earlier, but you make do! The goal was to free the frame of the transfer case and axles.

Started by unbolting the leaf spring supports and knocking them out about half way.

Removed ye old master cylinder

Think I can re-use this stuff?

Comment

Brake and clutch linkage free

Removed various brake line fittings and valves, being careful to label everything as I go.

And now for the heavy machinery :-)

Comment

Careful now

First pulled the transfer case

Then we got the tractor in position to remove the front axle

Comment

A few knocks with the hammer and the springs were free.

Front axle free from the chassis

Now the rear

Comment

There she is, down to the bone

Axles separated from the frame

Comment

OK, now comes the fun. This little John Deer picks up the frame like it was a toy. I think my friend Cliff was showing off a little, but it was funny as heck!

Next step is to get the frame blasted and work on the axles. I found a place that is willing to blast the frame, prime and paint for about $500. It seems like a lot, but when you consider the cost of buying all the equipment, media, etc.. and the fact that I am working outside and have to rely on my friend to run the bobcat to move the frame, it seems easier to just bite the bullet and have it done. They will probably do a better job than I can anyways.

While I am waiting for the frame, I am going to bring the axles down to the shop I was originally working in at Fort Meade. There is a guy there I am friendly with who always has the front end of his Jeep's open up. He is seriously into gears and differentials, gonna see if he can lend me a hand with checking out the axles while they are free. I'll clean them up, check them out, repack the seals, etc. This way when I match them back up to the frame, it will be a clean start.

On another note, I was reading in another post about certain trucks that lean to the right? It's my understanding this is intentional because it is supposed to compensate for the weight of the driver and the spare tire on the door? Is this true? I was wondering because I figured if I were going to have the springs fixed, now would be the time to check it out. But if it is supposed to be like that, I guess I will just leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrodjared View Post
                  OK, now comes the fun. This little John Deer picks up the frame like it was a toy. I think my friend Cliff was showing off a little, but it was funny as heck!

Next step is to get the frame blasted and work on the axles. I found a place that is willing to blast the frame, prime and paint for about $500. It seems like a lot, but when you consider the cost of buying all the equipment, media, etc.. and the fact that I am working outside and have to rely on my friend to run the bobcat to move the frame, it seems easier to just bite the bullet and have it done. They will probably do a better job than I can anyways.
                  Good to see some progress! I think $500 is a good deal to have all of that stuff done. I cleaned (chemical stripper and a steam cleaner) and primed and painted my frame myself, and it took a long time. I think you've got the right idea.

Comment

Thanks JStinson. I'm of the philosophy of I'll pick my battles, this isn't one I'm ready to take on. Time will be better spent working on other parts of the truck.

Speaking of that, I have found my new powerplant! $200 bucks, 1973 Dodge 318. Here's a little video of the guy starting it up on the ground.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1107230...27591468699410

We realized that the fuel line wasn't in the gas can (duh!) and after we put it back in, she started right back up again. I know what a lot of the purists will say "it's not stock!" But at this point, it's a much better option. The original motor will take 1000's to rebuild, and it will never be as powerful as a V8.

That being said, this now raises a slew of new questions about how to match it up to the existing transmission, motor mounts, etc. Guess I will be diving in to the archives for this one. I know it's been done, just a matter of making it happen! More to come.

Comment

• Made a little more progress today. Dropped the frame off at the sandblasters.

Here we are loading it up

Tried to do my best to document the markings on it before they were stripped off.

As best as I can read them, they said:

DRIVER SIDE: (Star) A-1(?) M-37
                      PASSENGER SIDE: 49 (TRIANGLE) 243ST
                      PASSENGER SIDE 2nd LAYER: (TRIANGLE) AR

I am guessing this truck is from the Texas National Guard, 49th Armored Division? Can anyone verify this? What's the 243?

Comment

• This is the place that's doing the work for me. So far I like them, they have been really helpful with the process.

Tallying up the bill. $680. A little more than I anticipated, but this price includes prep, blasting, priming, and painting. I provided the OD Green paint, they didn't charge me for the primer. The frame will probably be cleaner than I could have ever gotten it on my own, and I know it will be done right.

Hooking the frame up to the forklift

Comment

• One of the sandblast bays. There were three total, each one closed off from the other. As soon as they finish blasting, the frame immediately goes across the yard to the paint booth for primer. This way there is no chance for surface rust to form.

There she goes. Hopefully when I get her back she will be good as new.

Comment

• While I was in the neighborhood, I stopped by to pick up the motor. Here we are loading it up onto my friend's trailer.

Like I said, for $200 it's a steal. I know it runs, he started it right up on the ground. I look at it this way, even if I only get a year out of it, at least the truck is then mocked up to receive another 318. At that point, everything else will hopefully be done, I can just slide a new motor in it's place. Fingers crossed it won't come to that.

Going to take it to the shop on post tomorrow and use their heated pressure washer. Hoping with a little degreaser and some power I can free it from its filth and slap some paint on it. Thinking of keeping it original Chrysler Silver, with OD green and black accessories. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by jrodjared View Post
                              Tallying up the bill. $680. A little more than I anticipated, but this price includes prep, blasting, priming, and painting. I provided the OD Green paint, they didn't charge me for the primer. The frame will probably be cleaner than I could have ever gotten it on my own, and I know it will be done right.
                              It still sounds like a fair enough price. It's a decent amount more than what you originally thought, but it still seems at the upper ranges of fair. It will definitely be cleaner than what you could get it yourself. Like I posted earlier, I used chemical stripper and a heated pressure washer and finished off the job with a side grinder. It got the job done quite well, but yours will be a little cleaner. Plus, you'll save a ton of time and avoid ruined clothes.

Originally posted by jrodjared View Post
                              Going to take it to the shop on post tomorrow and use their heated pressure washer. Hoping with a little degreaser and some power I can free it from its filth and slap some paint on it. Thinking of keeping it original Chrysler Silver, with OD green and black accessories. Thoughts?
                              I'm interested in seeing that color pattern.

Enjoying the thread!

Comment

• Update:

Been a while since I posted. I had to move to another facility (aka, a friend's house) and I am sort of at the will of when he is there. Downside to not having your own garage. Anyway, making progress on the 318, got it down to the short block:

Comment

Working...
                                X