differential fluid in rear drum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• differential fluid in rear drum?

Noticed a wet trail onthe outside of the right rear backing plate. assumed it was a wheel cylinder. got inside and cylinder was fine. quite a bit of grease on the breake pads. assumed one seal was leaking. I saw no evidence of anything getting past the flange. so I assume leak is inner seal not outer. hub moist from something all around, so presume it's inner seal.

question: before I remove axel nut (at 2 9/16) will differential fluid drain out a bit. if so I may lift that side of the axel a bit more. right now due to driveway slope, the wheel im working is lower than other wheel.

also I'd like insight to inner seal leak if necessar.

steve of dallas.

Originally posted by scubaasteve View Post
    Noticed a wet trail onthe outside of the right rear backing plate. assumed it was a wheel cylinder. got inside and cylinder was fine. quite a bit of grease on the breake pads. assumed one seal was leaking. I saw no evidence of anything getting past the flange. so I assume leak is inner seal not outer. hub moist from something all around, so presume it's inner seal.

question: before I remove axel nut (at 2 9/16) will differential fluid drain out a bit. if so I may lift that side of the axel a bit more. right now due to driveway slope, the wheel im working is lower than other wheel.

also I'd like insight to inner seal leak if necessar.

steve of dallas.
    The outer hub seal on the rear hubs (under the axle flange) keeps oil from the diff from entering the hub interior where the bearings are. This seal often leaks, more likely a result of a rough surface on the outer nut flange where the seal lip mates than the seal itself. When enough oil gets past the bearings, it will begin to leak past the inner hub oil seal. It then saturates the drum interior and the brake linings, eventually making its way to drip out between the brake drum and backing plate. This is the stage yours is at now based on your description.

Comment

got it thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X