My M37 Restoration Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Progress

The last few days I have been trying to get the windshield frame prepped for painting. We got rained on quite a bit so the work slowed down some. Either way, I finally got it done today.

After blasting:

Primed:

The paint is a little glossier than the original OD. I was skeptical of it at first, but it has really grown on me. The downside (upside, really) is that I'll have to pay a lot more attention to details. Glossier paint really shows people where you tried to cut a corner.

Comment

• One more for good measure

Comment

• Still looking great! I see I'm not the only one who uses the engine hoist for a painting jig.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
          Still looking great! I see I'm not the only one who uses the engine hoist for a painting jig.
          Thanks for the compliment. The engine hoist makes a great hanger.

Comment

• Isee you are prepared to spend time with your M37. I noticed your bed roll and back pack sitting in front of the Zero Turn lawn mower. Ha Ha Ha.
            Not to seem like I was being nosey but I see you have the same wire wlder as I do. Do you have a problem with it spattering. Maybe its me but boy when I use that welder instead of my stick welder it leaves a lot of spatter. I tried some blue stuff from the weld supply place that you sort of wipe on around the weld area and it did help but not much. Any clues. By the way nice paint job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
              Isee you are prepared to spend time with your M37. I noticed your bed roll and back pack sitting in front of the Zero Turn lawn mower. Ha Ha Ha.
              Not to seem like I was being nosey but I see you have the same wire wlder as I do. Do you have a problem with it spattering. Maybe its me but boy when I use that welder instead of my stick welder it leaves a lot of spatter. I tried some blue stuff from the weld supply place that you sort of wipe on around the weld area and it did help but not much. Any clues. By the way nice paint job.
              Ha, I'm bad about not putting stuff up after I use it. The backpack was left over from a hiking trip down the road in Pine Mountain. Could have used an M37 the last few miles...

Now that you mention it, the welder does give off a fair amount of spatter. I find that most of the little "drops" are small enough that they come off with a wire brush though. A heavy scraper would probably work ok too.

Comment

• Very nice work there. As soon as I find a decent M37 near Maryland I will do the same and park it in the garage next to my finished M35a2, something I always wanted to do.
                Actually, an M813, Deuce and a M37 in a row would look good.
                Nice tip on the Walmart paint Kaiser.

Comment

• Bones,
                  Where do you live?
                  I am in Hollywood.
                  Not many PW people in southern Maryland.

Comment

• Hi Doc. I am in Bryantown now but used to live down your way. Do you know a fellow named Larry Berg?.Have you any pictures of your trucks online?.

Comment

• Stroke of luck

My dad and I were at a friends place the other day. This guy has all sorts of equipment and knows people with more. I asked him if he had or knew anybody that had a high pressure sand blasting setup. He replies "I've got the compressor and the sand, we just need to get the pot and we can use it."

So, tomorrow morning I'm riding with him to pick up the sand pot.

My other option was driving to Newnan, GA (71 miles one way) with a loaded trailer of parts to pay to get them blasted.

Ten miles down the road is much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by bones1 View Post
                        Hi Doc. I am in Bryantown now but used to live down your way. Do you know a fellow named Larry Berg?.Have you any pictures of your trucks online?.
                        I have met Larry Berg, when he was co-owner of the drive line. I see his old partner Jimmy Mills from time to time at my clinic.

Here is my image event:
                        http://imageevent.com/share/powerwagonrestoration

Comment

• Thanks for the link but it asks for a guest password. Berg and Mills were the odd couple for sure.
                          J Stinson, I am sorry to hijack your thread, I got carried away.

Comment

• Bones,
                            I sent you a PM.

Comment

• Cool restoration on your M37...

Comment

• Serious Progress

Today, I made it up to the friend's place and we spent the day blasting my stuff. The blaster is a beast of a machine. It ripped paint off like nobody's business.

This is how my day started:

The deal is that I'm going to help him blast and paint his caboose in exchange for use of the blaster. Suits me.

Me doing my Spaceman Spiff imitation:

Comment

Working...
                                X