My M37 Restoration Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
    I finally got around to putting the first coat of paint on the frame. It's good old fashion flat black.

I especially like this photo.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Front axle work

As I mentioned a while back, I discovered that the front axle oil seals were shot out on the truck. So, I ordered a new wheel bearing kit for the front left (the front right was replaced a few years ago) and a seal and gasket set from VPW. Here are some pictures of the adventure thus far.

Initial setup

What it turned into

The greatest seal puller in the history of forever

The lower steering knuckle bearing and race are destroyed (deep indentions on the race and out of round rollers). What do I need to know about replacing these components? I read on some other thread Charles Talbert talking about a shim pack. Charles, can you chime in and elaborate on this procedure?

Comment

What I dont understand is how you can work in that shop with all the well lit, clean and open area and clean catch pans and tools.
        In my unheated garage if I drop a tool or nut I just go buy another because the one I dropped just disapears into another reality.
        Not all the time but it has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
          What I dont understand is how you can work in that shop with all the well lit, clean and open area and clean catch pans and tools.
          In my unheated garage if I drop a tool or nut I just go buy another because the one I dropped just disapears into another reality.
          Not all the time but it has happened.
          I certainly don't take my work area for granted.

Comment

Extra pictures

Here's another picture of the axle housing. It shows the faulty seal.

If anyone is interested, there are a lot more pictures of the work on Photobucket.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p...M37%20Project/

Comment

The last couple of weeks have seen slow progress on the truck. I've been waiting for parts and dealing with other things. However, I'm back on it now and have made some progress.

I went through the front right steering knuckle, hub and axle and fixed the problems that it had. That work came to an end today.

I hope these lockouts turn out to be all I'm expecting them to be. I think they will free up a fair amount of power, seeing as how the engine won't have to drag all the dead weight of the front drive train around.

Comment

As I mentioned a while back, I discovered that the front axle oil seals were shot out on the truck. So, I ordered a new wheel bearing kit for the front left (the front right was replaced a few years ago) and a seal and gasket set from VPW. Here are some pictures of the adventure thus far.

Initial setup

What it turned into

The greatest seal puller in the history of forever

The lower steering knuckle bearing and race are destroyed (deep indentions on the race and out of round rollers). What do I need to know about replacing these components? I read on some other thread Charles Talbert talking about a shim pack. Charles, can you chime in and elaborate on this procedure?
                You adjust the steering knuckle bearings with shims. Do you have a service manual? If not, they are available from Vintage Power Wagons and other vendors as reproduction items. The adjustments will be made with the felt wiper off.

Comment

You are doing a marvelous job and the photos are great. Do you have high resolution versions of them? They would be great for an article in the magazine.

Comment

I was about to reinstall the spindle and my dad glanced at it and asked if it had a gasket on it. I looked in the manual and on VPW's site and couldn't find one anywhere. So, I assumed that it never had one. However, when I pulled the left front spindle off, there lay a gasket. So, luckily, my dad had some gasket paper and we fabbed a couple up.

For reference, a .45 Long shell casing makes a perfect hole cutter for bolt holes.

We pulled the spindle off of the steering knuckle and put the gasket on. I don't know why I couldn't find the gasket anywhere in my manuals or on VPW. It wasn't included in the front axle seal kit I got either. Any ideas?

Comment

Now it's on to the front left.

What a mess....

Comment

I got the front left hub rebuilt today as well. The old races were stubborn, but they made it out. The inner bearing was in pretty good shape, but the outer one was rough. I replaced them both.

Packing bearings

Now the hub is mo' better, as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                          You are doing a marvelous job and the photos are great. Do you have high resolution versions of them? They would be great for an article in the magazine.
                          Thanks Gordon!

I have a whole iPhoto album full of quality pictures. A ton of pictures are on Photobucket as well. I can send you good versions of any you need.

Comment

Thanks Gordon!

I have a whole iPhoto album full of quality pictures. A ton of pictures are on Photobucket as well. I can send you good versions of any you need.

You are doing such a great job. How about writing an article, or several?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                              You are doing such a great job. How about writing an article, or several?
                              Thank you!

I'd be happy to do an article.

I'll start one asap.

Comment

Wonderful!

Comment

Working...
                                X