My M37 Restoration Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by doodlebug View Post
    Who are you getting the upper straps for your tank from?
    Powerwagontim. He's on this forum.

Comment

• I am envious.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Update

This is just an update on the work:

I moved the cab under the shed so I could start work on it. I looked around it and discovered that it had more rust damage than I had originally though. The channels are rusted through up front, and rust in other areas is pretty much irreparable. I've been talking with Midwest, VPW and Memphis Equipment about a good used cab to replace it. Memphis got back to me on a price first, then VPW. Midwest won't have one in stock until next week. VPW was nearly a third of the price of Memphis, which really did not surprise me a whole lot. Of course, I'll have to factor in shipping, which could be horrific.

In any event, I'm currently waiting on VPW to tell me how much it will cost to ship it. The bottom line is that I've hit the first major stumbling block. Should be over it soon though.

Comment

• Originally posted by JStinson View Post

I moved the cab under the shed so I could start work on it. I looked around it and discovered that it had more rust damage than I had originally though. The channels are rusted through up front, and rust in other areas is pretty much irreparable. I've been talking with Midwest, VPW and Memphis Equipment about a good used cab to replace it. Memphis got back to me on a price first, then VPW. Midwest won't have one in stock until next week. VPW was nearly a third of the price of Memphis, which really did not surprise me a whole lot. Of course, I'll have to factor in shipping, which could be horrific.

In any event, I'm currently waiting on VPW to tell me how much it will cost to ship it. The bottom line is that I've hit the first major stumbling block. Should be over it soon though.
          You might find an entire, decent parts truck with a nice cab....

....just a thought.

Comment

When I see two items for sale that have wide price differences I ask myself why is that. Not to throw stones but I have bought stuff from VPW and it was made in Tiwan and a bit off in quality. That does not mean the expensive guys stuff is any better but you can ask where its made and maybe that will explaine the price .

Comment

• Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
              You might find an entire, decent parts truck with a nice cab....

....just a thought.
              Not a bad idea, I checked around but decided that the VPW cab was the best/easiest option.

Here's a picture of my current cab. VPW sent me some pictures of the one they're sending me, and it looks pretty solid.

As you can see, this one is a nightmare.

Comment

• Hokie smokie it looks like it was under water. It would take an awful lot of BONDO to fix that Ha Ha Ha.

I hope you did not pay much for the truck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
                  Hokie smokie it looks like it was under water. It would take an awful lot of BONDO to fix that Ha Ha Ha.

I hope you did not pay much for the truck.
                  Look at the picture, at the left side, all the scratches and whatnot on the metal is where I scraped off bondo. I put it there 4 years ago when I did the original "restoration" on the truck. I'm not interested in building a bondomobile this time around.

PS: the truck was cheap.

Comment

• cab

I've seen worse, had to replace both sides in front of the doors on mine and a fair amount around the back, the bright side is their all flat panels, easy to make. Just an idea, when you get your new cab, look in hemmings for someone who dips them this eliminates any rust and removes all the paint bondo etc. A previous owner sandblasted most of my truck, the trapped sand in the back of the cab and in the pockets in front of the doors is actually what caused the majority of the rust.

Comment

• New Cab

Yesterday, my new cab arrived. I was very very pleased with the job VPW did on picking it out for me. It's rock solid. The only dent is on the right rear corner. Little to no rust. It's a vast improvement over the old one.

After transferring the cab from the tractor trailer to my truck:

Unloading the cab:

The old cab in the graveyard:

Interesting commentary on small town life: We met the delivery truck driver outside of my dads barber shop in beautiful downtown Butler, GA. We asked the driver to pull across the street to a farm supply store that had more room for such a big truck. As we were getting out of my truck, a worker at the farm store came out and said, "This y'alls?" We told him yes and he says "Need a forklift?" I said "can you do that?" He says, "It's my forklift I'll do whatever I want." So he pulls the forklift around and unloads the cab for me. Free of charge.

Comment

Yesterday, my new cab arrived. I was very very pleased with the job VPW did on picking it out for me. It's rock solid. The only dent is on the right rear corner. Little to no rust. It's a vast improvement over the old one.

After transferring the cab from the tractor trailer to my truck:

Unloading the cab:

The old cab in the graveyard:

Interesting commentary on small town life: We met the delivery truck driver outside of my dads barber shop in beautiful downtown Butler, GA. We asked the driver to pull across the street to a farm supply store that had more room for such a big truck. As we were getting out of my truck, a worker at the farm store came out and said, "This y'alls?" We told him yes and he says "Need a forklift?" I said "can you do that?" He says, "It's my forklift I'll do whatever I want." So he pulls the forklift around and unloads the cab for me. Free of charge.
                        Neat story.

I admire your trailer....

Comment

• Update

Just wanted to give an update on the work. I'm currently working on the "new" cab. The paint is slowly coming off with chemical stripper and a pressure washer. It's a slow job, but it works.

Here's a couple of pictures of what Jasco can do. I've been impressed with it, even though it sometimes takes multiple applications to get through all the tough layers.

On another note, I got a nice shipment from VPW. The box contained a pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing, thermostat and pilot bushing. These are all of the parts that the shop needs to finish my engine. I should have it in a week or two. At that point I can get the engine and transmission painted and on the frame, cab on top. The progress is getting better. I'm getting more and more excited about the whole project.

Comment

• Oil Pickup

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the oil pickup was just kind of flopping around in the oil pan, directionless, like an out of work college graduate. It was being banged around pretty hard by all the moving parts in there.

It was only holding about 10psi when hot. Of course, the pickup probably was not the only culprit in such a low reading. I'm still surprised that it ran as well as it did.

Comment

• Progress

A couple of days ago, I got the gas tank and the rear light brackets on the frame.

Comment

• Patching

I got this cab from VPW a few weeks ago. See post http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...&postcount=126 to see the rust damage to the original one. It was a nightmare. This new cab, however, is beautiful. The biggest issue with it was a rust hole in the passenger door frame bottom.

I used magnets to hold the patch in so I could weld it in. I'm using a wire welder, so it's a bit of a challenge not blowing holes in the patch. Even on the coldest setting and super slow feed, it still has to be watched closely.

To be continued.

Comment

Working...
                                X