front wheel brake cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front wheel brake cylinders

going through the brakes of my new aquisistion M37. generally this vehicle has had extensive work done before I picked it up.

Had a leaking right rear wheel clylinder and am replacing shoes. all around.

anyhow, it appears the front, left, wheel brake cylinder may have leaked a bit. not sure. area was not wet exactly... I thought i would bleed the brakes with the drums removed and observe directly the front left cylinder. Comment?

More importantly can you offer any tips on removal and replacement of that cylinder? I dont know my way around the front axel assembly and the bolts that hold the cylnder in place as well as the brake line bolt are blocked pretty good by front axel components unlike the rear.

bottom line: dont want to replace a part just to replace it and don't know how to proceed with removal in the most effecient way.

steve

removal of wheel cylinder, front

Per Vintage Power wagon: 1) Partially disassemble (and service) the lower steering knuckle to gain access to front wheel cylinder. 2) remove the brake backing plate to increase clearance between the lower steering knuckle and front wheel cylinder.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by scubaasteve View Post
      going through the brakes of my new aquisistion M37. generally this vehicle has had extensive work done before I picked it up.

Had a leaking right rear wheel clylinder and am replacing shoes. all around.

anyhow, it appears the front, left, wheel brake cylinder may have leaked a bit. not sure. area was not wet exactly... I thought i would bleed the brakes with the drums removed and observe directly the front left cylinder. Comment?

More importantly can you offer any tips on removal and replacement of that cylinder? I dont know my way around the front axel assembly and the bolts that hold the cylnder in place as well as the brake line bolt are blocked pretty good by front axel components unlike the rear.

bottom line: dont want to replace a part just to replace it and don't know how to proceed with removal in the most effecient way.

steve
      You can't bleed the brakes using the pedal pumping method with the drum off. You will blow the pistons, or at least one of them, out of the cylinder casting. Leave the drum on, and maybe even lock them with the adjusters, depending on the state of adjustment and your plans to adjust.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by scubaasteve View Post
        Per Vintage Power wagon: 1) Partially disassemble (and service) the lower steering knuckle to gain access to front wheel cylinder. 2) remove the brake backing plate to increase clearance between the lower steering knuckle and front wheel cylinder.

Steve
        I am wondering if we have some instructions here mixed together, intended for multiple tasks....?

In summary, with respect to your brake question, you would remove the drum to access the wheel cylinder. The second sentence does not make sense to me. The wheel cylinder is attached to the backing plate.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
        X