dual carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual carbs

This past weekend I was shown a 48 chrysler sedan, it had a factory 2 carb intake, dual exhaust a different cam and an aftermarket ignition. In talking to the owner I found out that all except the ignition were stock on heavier Dodge trucks. He recommended I do a similar setup on my m37 ,lots more power. Has anyone ever used this setup? I'm considering it, seems cheaper than a v8 or diesel swap and a little closer to stock?

I also have been doing a bit of searching for a way to beef up the whimpy engine. I found a set up from a 55 dodge corenet that has the same 230 engine but with a two barrel stromberg carb.
    Eddelbrock makes a two carb manifold but I dont know what carbs would work.
    I dont want to change a bunch of stuff and then find that the cam etc will not handle the grater air flow and end up with an engine that is an ill natured camel at any speeds below full tilt boogie.
    I wonder if one makes that change over just how much gain is there. Doing all that and getting 5 or 6 more HP is not a good out come.

Comment

A sad day long ago.

One summer day in 1958, I started a similar project on my 1950 Plymouth. I found a dual carb intake manifold from a Chrysler six cylinder car. This was going to be the final touch. I already had a split exhaust manifold and was running dual straight pipes. I converted the distributor to dual breaker points with a "hotter" coil. I bought a pair of Stromberg 97's that were calibrated for the dual set up. I rummaged through wrecking yards to find a throttle linkage to replace the Plymouth's "cross the head" system. Several days earlier I removed the inner fender for easy access. I had my tools all laid out.

That's when I discovered the Chrysler block was two inches longer than the 218/230 block.

I am sure glad you checked this out first.

Enjoy your project.

Comment

Ouch. how far were you into it when that discovery revealed itself.
        I may be wrong but I think the Dodge Cornette used the same 230 donkey enegine.
        I know M-series rebuild has done engines with the dual Edelbrock set up. I dont know what the HP gain is or what the dollar per HP cost is. That said , it does seem like you should be able to get more out of it than the 80 or 90 HP.
        Where I live we have very littel flat ground. You are either goin up a hill or down. It is a constant game of trying to get enough speed going down one side so MAYBE you can get up the other side without grinding down to 20 MPH in second gear to climb over the top.

Comment

We've done them with dual carbs and headers, etc, etc, etc. Shaved the head to the max for compression gain; but the real deal that makes all these redo's worth while is changing the angles on the cam. If you do it all, it's possible to pick up an extra 40 or so horsepower, and a fair amount of extra torque as well.

You can view one we have done on our website, on the services page.

Comment

I sort of figured just sticking a dual set up or a 2 barrel carb set up might get you some extra snap but with out the cam etc. it may not be worth the effort and cost.
            A 40 hp gain would be nice , 8 or 10 you may not even notice it.

Comment

Working...
            X