Lower steering knuckle setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower steering knuckle setup.

I tore into the front axle on the M37 earlier this week. The trouble is, the lower knuckle (I assume on both sides, I'm still working on just one side now) bearing and race are destroyed. Deep brineling (not sure how to spell it). Basically, I've got square rollers and races with deep indentions.

The new races and bearings and shims are en route from VPW. While I was on the phone with VPW, I asked the guy about the procedure to set up that bearing. He rattled off shim sizes and torque numbers, and I didn't write any of it down. Can someone explain to me how to set this up?

Thanks!

Moose Creek Maple has an excellent illustrated knuckle rebuild on their site-Google "moose creek maple"- it should come up...

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
      I tore into the front axle on the M37 earlier this week. The trouble is, the lower knuckle (I assume on both sides, I'm still working on just one side now) bearing and race are destroyed. Deep brineling (not sure how to spell it). Basically, I've got square rollers and races with deep indentions.

The new races and bearings and shims are en route from VPW. While I was on the phone with VPW, I asked the guy about the procedure to set up that bearing. He rattled off shim sizes and torque numbers, and I didn't write any of it down. Can someone explain to me how to set this up?

Thanks!

Click this link to Paul's Album(Moose Creek Maple) for the knuckle rebuild. While your there Look around at the other albums.

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmapl...o7zs71.eagle_s

TGP
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Thanks folks!

I'm going to dig through my cd-rom manuals and see if I can find the right one for the torque numbers. Doesn't look like he published the numbers on that site. If I can't, I might be back begging for info.

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
          Thanks folks!

I'm going to dig through my cd-rom manuals and see if I can find the right one for the torque numbers. Doesn't look like he published the numbers on that site. If I can't, I might be back begging for info.

You are correct.

I know Paul and he does it by "Feel" as I do. Remember, He is using a bearing top and bottom instead of a bearing and a brass cone.
          There is no published spec for that upgrade.
          However we thought his pictures would help.
          TGP
          WDX & Misc. Pics.
          http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
          "47" Dodge WDX WW
          "52" Dodge M-37 WW
          "54" Willys M38A1
          "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
          "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
          "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
          "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
          "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
          "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"