Old question for a new M37 Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old question for a new M37 Owner

I am a new owner of a M37, The truck has been modified to 12 Volt system and the Carb has been replaced leaving several vent lines hanging out which I am still trying to figure out what to do with.

Opinion on Changing it back to 12 volt and mechanically original or to keep going with the modifications going for more power and better drivability.

That being said If I can get a truck that will do 45 comfortably I would be okay with that (mostly).

I am not a total expert for sure but I do have an M37 that I have done a lot of work on including having the engine totally rebuilt. Changing from 24 to 12 volts makes getting light bulbs etc a snap but I cant see how it would give you any more power.
    45MPH seems to be where the M37 is most happy if you are on flat ground. Up hill , not so happy, down hill , dont ever let it get out of gear or you will be in for a heck of a ride. It really likes down hill. I got into a bit of a sweat when I hit a very long steep down hill about two miles long. It was all I could do to get it to stop near the -T- intersection at the bottom. I geared it from 4th to 3rd and it was reving its head off trying to slow down. I was standing on the brakes but they were allready hot from the last hill so they were fading. God Bless the band brake on the transfer box.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack605 View Post
      I am a new owner of a M37, The truck has been modified to 12 Volt system and the Carb has been replaced leaving several vent lines hanging out which I am still trying to figure out what to do with.

Opinion on Changing it back to 12 volt and mechanically original or to keep going with the modifications going for more power and better drivability.

That being said If I can get a truck that will do 45 comfortably I would be okay with that (mostly).
      You won't get any more power or speed out of the truck by converting it to 24v.

In the planning stages of my current M37 project (not that the planning stage actually ever ends), I had your exact question. My truck had been converted to a 12v system and I wanted to see if it was worth it to convert it back to 24v.

The answer that I came to was that it was entirely up to me. If the 12v conversion was done well and not bubblegummed together with paper clips and questionable components, you'll have a solid system. Also, you'll have readily available, and cheap, replacement parts. On the other hand, if you switch it back to 24v, you'll have more cranking power and a solid waterproof ignition system. Also, it will be more authentic. The downside is cost of components and overall cost of converting it back.

I decided to convert mine to 24v because I like the authenticity of it.

If you decide to do it, make sure you do one or the other. Don't convert a few things to 24v and then try to save on component cost by installing converters for lights, etc.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Comment

Working...
      X