Gas tank flexible spouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank flexible spouts

Hey guys, do they still make the flexible 5 gal gas tank spouts that we used with the 5 gal tanks? They are about 18-20 inches long, flexible and has a locking lever at the end. I can't tell you what we use to call them back in the day as there might be minors who read these forums. :)
    The rubber on mine is worn out and I need to find another one. I haven't seen any lately and was just wondering.
    If they don't make them any more, is there a replacement for them?
    Thanks

Use Google images, type in jerry can spout, and also military gas can spout. Look at the photos. You will find some of what you are seeking.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I bought one last spring that looks like the one in this image. It is new, made overseas, and I can never get it to expand quite enough to not leak. It is much better than trying to pour through a funnel, but just don't pour over something you don't want to dribble fuel on.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your help. Clint, that's the one I have also. It looks as though they are no longer manufactured (at least in this country). I've got two of them, but the rubber is so worn, they want seal up any more and, like you said Clint, they'll leak gas all over you. I've checked on ebay, but most of those look in worse shape than mine. Those were the ones we were using when I retired. What do they use now?

Comment

Is there any way you can make a new gasket?

Comment

Seeing as how the thread in a Gerry can is 2" pipe thread , what about just using a combination nipple ( pipe thread to hose barb) and a short section of fuel rated hose?
            Even threaded in hand tight it should leak less than a cracked rubber gasket.

I just bought a brand new Gerry can (nato spec) it is plastic and made by Scepter in Canada, still has the 2" thread in the inside but it has a larger coarse thread outside and a threaded cap, the fuel spout threads on the outside now.
            http://www.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers/

Comment

Is it a tapered thread?

Comment

Yes one is an NPT (tapered ) the other is NPS (straight,Or special) but the thread pitch is the same,, besides it's not like you need to crank the spout in with a pipe wrench, it just has to seal better than a 50 year old cracked rubber gasket

OOps, are you asking about the external thread on the new can?
                if so no, not tapered it's more like the thread on a peanut butter jar.

Comment

I've found one online that threads into the tank. The spout is a smaller diameter to accomodate the newer gas tanks, but that should be ok.
                  I suppose if I tried hard enough I could come up with a way to put another gasket on there, but not worth the effort at this time. I'll just use this newer version and keep the old one for show & tell.

Comment

Working...
                  X