Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs

Need advice on front springs. I've completed the 318 swap and have some clearance issue with oil pan/ front diff( nothing new!) Can I swap in some leafs from the rear since there is no load hauling in its future?

Mike

springs

I still have the stock flathead in my truck, but I ordered 2 new old stock springs from vintage powerwagons, took them to the spring shop and had two leaves added, big difference, considering my originals had at least one broken leaf each, it was, probably 3 or 3 1/2 inches. also put m43 springs in the rear to level it out,.

Comment

Thanks...I was kinda thinking along those lines. Front springs have almost no arch now so new ones or a re-arch is probably coming up.

Comment

Any pics of the swap? I am about to drop in a 318 myself.

Comment

Lift blocks?

I see where Will used blocks in his build. Any recommendations on that route? Looks like 2-3" would do the trick...

Comment

I used blocks in the rear, and installed some additional short leafs in the front. However this was for tire purposes and not engine clearances. The engine must be offset tight to the drivers side and a notch cut into the frame for the exhaust to fit.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Ziegler View Post
              I still have the stock flathead in my truck, but I ordered 2 new old stock springs from vintage powerwagons, took them to the spring shop and had two leaves added, big difference, considering my originals had at least one broken leaf each, it was, probably 3 or 3 1/2 inches. also put m43 springs in the rear to level it out,.

How are the M43 spring assemblies different?
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks for the replies...You are correct on offset, but I have shot springs that weren't accounted for, so still alittle close for comfort. Local spring shop can do add a leaf and re-arch combo but I was looking at all options. Sitting kinda nose down at the moment( the truck, not me). Maybe the 727 auto weighs more than I realized, kinda doubt it's heavier than the stock tranny.

Comment

The only time I got into the oil pad wasn't under full compression, it was when I broke a spring pack bolt and the axle moved and allowed the differential to get into the side of the pan. My springs were shot as well, and I went with a NOS set from VPW.
                  I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                  Will
                  WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                  1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                  1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                  1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                  2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thanks Will! I'll give them a call ....website prices for NOS are bout what rework would cost according to the spring shop and will give me a more reliable result...

Comment

m43

Gordon, the rear springs on an m43 have a few extra leaves makes the truck around 2 inches higher when in an m37 and still rides better than my neighbor's new superduty.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Ziegler View Post
                        Gordon, the rear springs on an m43 have a few extra leaves makes the truck around 2 inches higher when in an m37 and still rides better than my neighbor's new superduty.
                        Interesting, thank you.
                        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Springs

Got NOS springs from VPW and added three leaves from old set. After new center bolts, clamps and u-bolts from Springs and Things here in Columbia, I ended up with approx 3" of clearance for the pumpkin and the rig sits level.

Comment

Working...
                          X