Steering wheel and transfer case levers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel and transfer case levers

Hey folks. I'm trying to remove the steering wheel on my M37. I guess the PO had already tried to do it as it is real buggered up. I can't tell if I'm looking at the nut or some other part of the steering wheel. Could you please look at the picture and tell me if that is the nut that has all of the cut slots in it and if know anything I can do to get it off.
    Also, I'm trying to move the truck around in the shop, but the transfer case and front axle are engaged and I can't push it at all. I can't get the transfer case lever to move forward, although it has worked fine in the past. Anybody know any little tricks to help it slip out of engagement?
    Thanks.
    Attached Files

You are not going to like my answer, if I am right. It looks to me like the nut is missing, and they peened the end of the tube over the face of the steering wheel. Only fix would be a new piece, which extends down into the steering box and has the worm gear integral to it. Easiest fix would be to replace the entire steering box. If you need a replacement box (and steering wheel by the looks of it) drop me a PM.
    Try backing up while putting pressure on the transfer case lever, it should pop out for you.
    Good luck,
    Tim
    57 Power Wagon
    Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
    57 W-100
    60 W-100
    51 M37
    61 Triumph TR-3A
    80 Triumph Spitfire
    09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
    05 Subaru Outback
    10 speed bike
    Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

Thanks Tim. I was afraid of that but was hoping it just wasn't so. :( I've got another column and box in the barn so I'll just put that one on.
      Truck isn't running right now, but I'll try to get someone to help me push it or at least rock it back and forth and see if that'll help it pop out.

Comment

Looks like a job for the "HEAT WRENCH".

The other coment about backing up a few feet normally will un-stick the box. I do it when mine gets stuck.

Comment

I had a couple of buddies rock the truck back and forth while I tried to disengage the transfer case. I must have tried too hard as the rod that goes from the handle to the transfer case broke. I didn't think I was putting that much force on it, but it popped right behind where it connects to the handle.
          Oh well, I guess I'll be looking for another rod.

Comment

If it let go without you feeling like you were forcing it, it was probably ready to let go anyway.
            I have a spare, if you need one drop me a PM.
            Tim
            57 Power Wagon
            Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
            57 W-100
            60 W-100
            51 M37
            61 Triumph TR-3A
            80 Triumph Spitfire
            09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
            05 Subaru Outback
            10 speed bike
            Hiking Boots