O.D green paint and gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.D green paint and gas

I painted a little project (motorcycle) with some krylon fusion for plastic camo flat green paint, it is all plastic that i painted. I am happy and it looks good. Then somebody said what about gas? you need to spray clearcoat to protect that paint. that kind of defeats the purpose of the flat green. i did little scrap with some leftover paint and in about 2 hrs dripped some gas on it and sure enough it came right off. so the question is why dosen't gas make old military paint come off. is it just better than my krylon or is it because it has dried for 30 years? what are you guys doing on your restored trucks to get around this. someday i want to paint my m37 green and i will want paint that is somewhat resistant to the inevitable spill

I suspect it's the Plastic paint. The Krylon OD paint I used on the M hasn't shown any coming off from getting gas on it.

As for a clear coat, they do make flat clear coats, that might protect the paint while leaving the flat finish, but it may not be compatible with the plastic paints.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Paint and gas

I'm sorry that I have no answers, just a side note. Most boat bottom paints are readily dissolved by gas as well.
      DavidGB

Comment

Gus, I know I had rocks thrown at me in a prior post about my choice of paint . I searched around for flat OD paint for a while and had no real luck without special ordering some very expensive stuff that had to mixed with part -A- and part -B- and sprayed just so under perfect conditions and then top coated.
        Then I stumbled on ,,,and here is the part everyone seemed to have a problem with , I found paint at WAL-MART that worked and looked great.

He is what I bought. DUTCH BOY EXTREME ADHESION, FLAT EXTERIOR ACCENT BASE FOR METAL CODE 96314 CAFE NOIR MIX CODE 1Y8-6Y8-2Y22.
        Now all that sound like it will be expensive but it cost me $15.00 a gallon.
        It is a latex base paint so water will clean it up.
        DO NOT THIN IT WITH WATER . If you do it will not stick.
        I added a few ounces of FLOTROL to allow a little longer dry time to elliminat streaks.
        Now here is the real bad sounding part. I painted the truck with a roller and one of those tiny foam rollers for tight spots.
        You do need to prep the surface by light sanding but thats it.
        I did this about a year ago and have driven the truck in all sorts of weather and still actually won a trophy at a car show.
        What the heck for $15.00 a gallon give it a try on something that wont matter like your wifes car and see how it works. And it wont krinkle if you spill gas on it.

Comment

paint

Gus, modern paints with hardner act something like j b weld, mix part a with part b there's a chemical reaction and it's now c or your finish. my guess and I'm not a painter is our new alchohol infused gas has some ingredient similar to what krylon used to thin your paint. an option would be to visit your local tractor supply, they have quarts or gallons of implement paint and a hardener for them. If they don't have olive drab try mixing a small amount of flat black with yellow. My dad used to mix up wwII green with zinc chromate (yellow) primer and flat black his jeep still looks pretty good after 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
            Gus, I know I had rocks thrown at me in a prior post about my choice of paint . I searched around for flat OD paint for a while and had no real luck without special ordering some very expensive stuff that had to mixed with part -A- and part -B- and sprayed just so under perfect conditions and then top coated.
            Then I stumbled on ,,,and here is the part everyone seemed to have a problem with , I found paint at WAL-MART that worked and looked great.

He is what I bought. DUTCH BOY EXTREME ADHESION, FLAT EXTERIOR ACCENT BASE FOR METAL CODE 96314 CAFE NOIR MIX CODE 1Y8-6Y8-2Y22.
            Now all that sound like it will be expensive but it cost me $15.00 a gallon.
            It is a latex base paint so water will clean it up.
            DO NOT THIN IT WITH WATER . If you do it will not stick.
            I added a few ounces of FLOTROL to allow a little longer dry time to elliminat streaks.
            Now here is the real bad sounding part. I painted the truck with a roller and one of those tiny foam rollers for tight spots.
            You do need to prep the surface by light sanding but thats it.
            I did this about a year ago and have driven the truck in all sorts of weather and still actually won a trophy at a car show.
            What the heck for $15.00 a gallon give it a try on something that wont matter like your wifes car and see how it works. And it wont krinkle if you spill gas on it.
            I like your idea....
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
              I like your idea....
              Thanks , Me too. My wife wasnt real happy with her car though. snicker.
              I cant seem to load up a photo of how it looks but I would be more than happy to email a photo of my truck to you so you can see how it looks.
              I still cant get why they call the color CAFE NOIR.

Comment

I have been goggling and goggling. I am reading that most spray cans are lacquer paint (so is the krylon). Lacquer and gas are not compatible; the ethanol probably makes it even worse... I remember a triumph Bonneville I had in high school that I spent days on painting and the first time I rode it the amal carbs float stuck and fuel go on the side covers. The gas will make the paint run off like water. It is beyond “just wipe it up right away”. I am getting that suggestion a lot. Lol.
                So I guess I need a clear coat. I bought some acrylic enamel clear coat. Apparently you can spray enamel over lacquer but not the other way around. I have also made this mistake. The paint will lift right off. It may be neat at a 3rd grade science fair but not on a project you have been sanding forever. So I sprayed the acrylic enamel clear coat over the flat green. It is no longer flat at all. But I still like it and it gives the bike a more finished look. But from what I gather the clear coat in a can is still not fuel resistant. Maybe some kind of wax I could rub on it. Weird how when you care it is like this but when I paint a trailer with 8$ paint from big lots it is indestructible.

Comment

Bonneville,,Ha Ha Ha what a flash back. I did just about the same thing on the same bike. Mine was blue and white and I got a scratch on the tank and re painted it and it looked super until I splashed some gas while filling the tank and then in about one minute I had a blue and white PRUNE. I wish I still had that bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X