Windshield Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Removal

I'm trying to take the old rusted out windshield frame off of my truck, but I'm having a devil of a time getting the bolts (the ones with a hole in them) out of the hinge pivot bracket. I've got one out (actually it just pulled right out), but the one on the driver side is wanting to be more than difficult. I've looked under the dash to see if I could see a nut or something, but I just can't tell how or what that bolt is screwed in to. I've tried putting heat to it, I've soaked it in PB Blaster but I can't budge it. Actually I think it is just welded in with rust.
    If anyone knows something I'm missing or has any little tricks for getting the bolt out, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

If I remember correctly, there's a nut holding that bolt in. You shouldn't have any trouble seeing it from the inside of the cab. Also, there's enough room in there to get a wrench in.

Try taking a wire brush to the exposed threads on the inside of the cab and cleaning them up. Then take your PB Blaster and soak it good for a couple of days.

If there's too much rust to even try to find the threads, there's likely too much damage to bother with saving that part. Torch it off and get a new one.

Here's a link to a new one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/M37-dodge-mi...ht_1022wt_1048

Here's what mine looked like:

Comment

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a nut on the inside or if there was a permanent part of the cowling that the bolt screwed into. I didn't want to go torching too much until I knew for sure. I know one thing, that sucker is on there!

Comment

What I Did

I used Kroil as well and a couple of pairs of vise grips (& heat). When you re-install the hinge bolts, use plenty of anti-seize. AB has plenty of the driver-side bolts, John @ Midwest has both, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
          I used Kroil as well and a couple of pairs of vise grips (& heat). When you re-install the hinge bolts, use plenty of anti-seize. AB has plenty of the driver-side bolts, John @ Midwest has both, I think.
          Thanks Bruce. Picked up some Kroil this morning. I"m working on it. :(

Comment

Working...
          X