No announcement yet.

M37 steering and wander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it isn't the front hubs, the noise remained after greasing them up, and even when they were engaged.

I drove the truck into work this morning though and I think I got it now.. I believe it's my speedometer head.. ;) or possibly the cable but I seriously doubt that,

That's about the only other rotating part I can think of thats in front of me and tied to rolling speed. And once it dawned on me it seemed real clear. The needle does have a bit of bounce as well, so I could probably grease the cable up as well. I left it alone because I thought I would likely replace it with an electronic Datcon or something later.

Question is how to lube it? It's one of the few parts I have not taken apart and done anything with on this truck, well not yet anyway..

Comment

Yup was the speedo, squirted some cmotorcycle cable lube into the speedo head bushing and no more noise. I think I need to put something a bit more viscous there though.

Comment

Originally posted by jmacqueen View Post
        Yup was the speedo, squirted some cmotorcycle cable lube into the speedo head bushing and no more noise. I think I need to put something a bit more viscous there though.
        There is a product available at NAPA, called white lithium grease, comes in a small tube or a 1# tub, light weight enough to work without causing cable drag, yet viscous enough to hang on well. If you use a product that is too heavy, it will cause drag and needle jumping in cool temps. NLGI#2 gun grease is too heavy.

Comment

Yeah I have a tube of white lithium grease on the shelf I use for some things, and several other types of lube..

I have been mulling over whether the lithium would be viscous enough for the job, and getting it down into what appears to just be a bushing without disassembling the speedo. I suppose a little air would move in in there.

I don't have much in between lithium and a light chassis grease though.

I think I'll give it a try. The speedo is going to get replaced eventually anyway so I have nothing to lose, it's not accurate now anyway with the 4.89 gears. I'm using a GPS for accurate speed.

Comment

Working...
          X