Locking rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking rear

Would I get in trouble if I only installed a locker on the rear axle?
    If not what is the best type.
    Is there one that can be engaged and disengaged a will?
    I did some looking into it and it looks like the rear end is way , way less work than the front. Am I correct in that thought?

Are you trying to make the truck front wheel drive and lock the rear for four wheel drive? Or did I miss something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
      Would I get in trouble if I only installed a locker on the rear axle?
      If not what is the best type.
      Is there one that can be engaged and disengaged a will?
      I did some looking into it and it looks like the rear end is way , way less work than the front. Am I correct in that thought?
      You will be fine doing only the rear.
      Most vehicles now days have some sort of positraction in the rear only,limited slip or some such.
      You can install a lock-rite which is available which is a positive lock type like a Detroit locker,The ARB selectable unit from Dan Shockley which I understand he has one left.
      They are produced on a limited basis.

http://www.powerwagonlocker.com/

I should add that unless you are knowledgeable on differentials and have or can make the special tools,holders needed to install one, you should consider giving your differential to someone who does,Vintage,midwest military, Charles,Bob Stahl, etc.

TGP
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Thanks, Good info.
        I figured as much but I felt I should put the question out there in case it would cause any problems.
        Like I said I looked into it on both the front and rear and doing the front looks like a real knock down draged out ordeal.
        I just want a little more traction for pulling stuff now and then.

Comment

locker

I have a friend who put front and rear lockers in a cj7, according to him with both axles locked it's almost impossible to steer

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Ziegler View Post
            I have a friend who put front and rear lockers in a cj7, according to him with both axles locked it's almost impossible to steer
            I seem to remember reading where some one had the same problem with steering.
            I figure with just the back locked I will get what I want . The thing is sort of a tank to start with but I have noticed it spinning one wheel or the other now and then pulling a heavy tree or my friends Farmall when it gets stuck. It pulled it out but it was marginal.

Comment

Does your application demand the need for a locker??

A locker in the front really is not a good idea. If you are one of the folks who think they can't live without it, please get the only one that can be disengaged, an ARB air locker. A frequently asked question of us concerns lockers in the front axle, my advice is always no unless it is really needed. Next question; why? It will cause hard steering and really stresses steering components. Next question; can't you install power steering to overcome that? Sure, but that brings out other issues. Next question; what issues? You will start to break steering components due to added stress. Next question; why are lockers offered for the front if they don't work well? My answer, ask the manufacturer's of the locker; but remember they are in business to sell lockers, not to look out for your safety and well being.

As far as the rear goes, same advice, unless you really need it in your application, believe me you are better off without one. If you must have it though, an ARB once again is the only wise choice. It can be disengaged when not needed.

Stay away from the full time auto locking differentials, your troubles have not even begun until you install one of them. You can't disengage it ever. You don't want a locker engaged when operating on hard roads.

Comment

Charles has got good advice. I used my M for some semi-hard core fun, off roading and rock crawling with my friends with Jeeps. before I added the ARB lockers, and a lower 1st gear, I could not go slow enough or keep the needed tire with traction.

As for the front, when I do, and it's not often, use the front locker, forget turning, and they don't disengage quickly. generaly I need to roll fore and aft some and work the wheel a little to get it to disengage.

The ARB is the only choice for the front, and the best choise for the rear, but again, make sure that you truly need a front locker before you go that route.

Will
                I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Hmm. The truck has never been stuck,almost but it dug its self out of a few spots where I was holding my breath. But maybe I should just let it alone.

Comment

Yup many many trucks have come with locking rears, and it's usually all you need.

One that can be disengaged like an ARB is always best but an automatic one like a detroit locker is ok for the rear, hot rodders and offroaders have been using them in their rear ends by the thousands for decades. There are some drawbacks to an auto locker in the rear but they aren't serious in my opinion.

The front is a different matter, and can get you into trouble steering in some situations and even be dangerous. I would only have one up front that can be disengaged.

That said I have an ARB front and rear in mine, but you do need to know when and when not to use either, and a rear locker only setup is 90% as good as both front and rear in my opinion. I can tell you my front locker is only going to be rarely used.

Comment

Originally posted by jmacqueen View Post
                      Yup many many trucks have come with locking rears, and it's usually all you need.

One that can be disengaged like an ARB is always best but an automatic one like a detroit locker is ok for the rear, hot rodders and offroaders have been using them in their rear ends by the thousands for decades. There are some drawbacks to an auto locker in the rear but they aren't serious in my opinion.

The front is a different matter, and can get you into trouble steering in some situations and even be dangerous. I would only have one up front that can be disengaged.

That said I have an ARB front and rear in mine, but you do need to know when and when not to use either, and a rear locker only setup is 90% as good as both front and rear in my opinion. I can tell you my front locker is only going to be rarely used.
                      OK, you've said you have ARB front and rear; only smart choice.

You are also suggesting the use of an auto locker in the rear to others, not at all smart. I'll bet there will be those who will have hard feelngs toward you if they follow your advice given here concerning the auto lockers. You are recommending problems. Don't know if you have ever run them in the rear or not. I would guess not though, simply because if you had, you wouldn't recommend doing that to your worst enemy, unless of course you are an axle shaft manufacturer trying to create business.

Maybe this may sound somewhat sarcastic; never the less it is truth. Simply put, auto lockers in Power Wagon differentials can and in most cases do cause major undesirable and costly issues. It's a well proven FACT.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                        OK, you've said you have ARB front and rear; only smart choice.

You are also suggesting the use of an auto locker in the rear to others, not at all smart. I'll bet there will be those who will have hard feelngs toward you if they follow your advice given here concerning the auto lockers. You are recommending problems. Don't know if you have ever run them in the rear or not. I would guess not though, simply because if you had, you wouldn't recommend doing that to your worst enemy, unless of course you are an axle shaft manufacturer trying to create business.

Maybe this may sound somewhat sarcastic; never the less it is truth. Simply put, auto lockers in Power Wagon differentials can and in most cases do cause major undesirable and costly issues. It's a well proven FACT.
                        I'm recommending a disengageable locker, and saying a detroit style is ok, with a few drawbacks, if you don't want to spend the high dollars for an ARB. If someone follows my advice, and example, they will get a locker that disengages.

I feel a detroit style locker usually only fails if an axle or something else breaks and puts a hard enough shock on it, and more likely axle breakage and strain on other components is a downside of any locker, ARB included.

Comment

How tuff are M37 axle shafts?

phil

Comment

Originally posted by jmacqueen View Post
                            I'm recommending a disengageable locker, and saying a detroit style is ok, with a few drawbacks, if you don't want to spend the high dollars for an ARB. If someone follows my advice, and example, they will get a locker that disengages.

I feel a detroit style locker usually only fails if an axle or something else breaks and puts a hard enough shock on it, and more likely axle breakage and strain on other components is a downside of any locker, ARB included.
                            That might be a possiblity except that a detroit style locker doesn't exist that fits a power wagon or M37 differential. There is only the ARB; or the Lock-Rite which is a fully automatic locker that can't be disengaged. The Lock-Rite is the one you don't want. They put axle shafts under great stress just when operating normally on pavement or hard unpaved roads.

The locker itself failing has never been an issue, it will cause axle shaft breakage among other undesirable circumstances very frequently though. We use to install them in the early days before we learned better. Some got so discouraged with them, they came back and paid us to remove them from their differentials.

So, heed factual advice, or install a problematic sytem, your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by phil bazemore View Post
                              How tuff are M37 axle shafts?

phil
                              I've twisted one, and broke one.

Twisted (Before ARB)

Broke (After ARB)

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                              Will
                              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"