M37 BAD wiring problem FIXED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M37 BAD wiring problem FIXED

Maybe this will help someone down the road. Determined to find where I was going to ground on the light circuit.

I started unhooking the wiring harness and checking each circuit with either a meter or test light. Found my number 17 wire to the headlights going to ground and checked both sides of the firewalls. Actually I was running like a monkey around a tree from both firewalls, cab and around again.

Pulled the headlights, checked them on the batteries, both good, but someone had jury rigged the number 18 wire on the passenger side and the whole circuit was exposed and grounding.

Also, my dash lights were going to ground. So I just pulled them for the time being. Gottch, I thought, all circuits were showing open, so I hooked my headlights back up, nothing, I mean nothing.

Carried a headlight over to my live 18 wire feed, put the test light on both the feed and the 18 wire on the headlight, grounded the 91 ground wire and watched the test light go out, lifted the ground and the test light came right back on, which told me, hopefully, that that was the reason I still had fire to my coil and gauges.

BUT the circut breaker was too weak to carry the load of the light circuit, probably the continuing ground from the 18 wire had weakened it. Put another circuit breaker in, and hot dadgum, got lights, bright and dim.

Needless to say, the ciruit breaker was NOT where TM 9-8030 said it was, so that took a bit more time to get the right one. Thanks, guys, for looking, and didn't mean to write an article but maybe it helps down the road. Regards to all...Eric

Good job!
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thank you, Gordon, for the kind words. Got the dash lights and high beam hooked up today and the panel back in. Did the tail lights, which weren't on the truck when I got it, hooked up. Going to work on the fuel pump and gas tank this week. Then the brakes afterwords. Getting there, almost hope the guy that wants to buy it backs out so I can put my winch on this one. When I get all through, before handing it over, will take some pics to share,,cheers.,,.Eric

Comment

Working...
      X