Non-Dodge M Series Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Dodge M Series Help

So, several weeks ago, my dad got into the MV sickness by buying a 1954 M38A1. It's a very solid truck. It had been sitting in a warehouse in Lilburn, GA since the mid to late 90s.

He has been working on it religiously, replacing what needed replacing, trying to get it going. He rebuilt the distributor. The fuel pump portion of the pump was rebuilt, but he could not find a kit for the vacuum portion. Yesterday, we managed to fire it up with him cranking it and me pouring gas into the carb. Unfortunately, the pump seemed to be pumping backwards, with tons of air being pumped back towards the tank. Thankfully, he had a new pump on hand (it's a pathetic piece of crap, made in China, but it's new). Today, he installed that pump and plumbed it and we fired it up.

It pumped, and the truck ran very nicely. Oil pressure held at about 40 and it idled like a champ. He switched it off and tried to crank it back up. That's when the headaches started.

It was hard to restart. Once it finally fired up, it ran rough and backfired. We found a bad connection on the inlet to the pump, so that might solve that problem.

The other, more important problem, however, is the fact that gas got into the oil. As it sat there, the bottom fell out of the oil pressure. It might be the gauge or the line to the gauge, not sure, but it was a concern. We checked the oil, and it had gas in it. It was new oil, so it was easy to tell.

Could the Chinese pump have a faulty gasket in it that's puking gas into the block? Other thoughts on this boondoggle?

If it were mine I would get a different pump, also you could ask on the G503 site and see what those guys think.

http://g503.com/forums/index.php?sid...b2423109ed8366

Comment

Also Midwest Military should have the original type fuel pump, if that's what you're wanting.

Comment

Originally posted by carter davidson View Post
        If it were mine I would get a different pump, also you could ask on the G503 site and see what those guys think.

http://g503.com/forums/index.php?sid...b2423109ed8366
        Thanks Carter. I put up a thread over there and got some great advice.

Comment

I saw you had posted there, those guys know Jeeps well and will give you a lot of useful info.

Read the article on Crash Box with intrest and am waiting for "The rest of the story" Good job. : )

Comment

The problem is all that rope on the frontend, Its causing the thing to tip to the front.

Sorry .

Nice Jeep. You may already know this but just in case. The horn button on those is covered with a rubber cap. If the cap comes off you can see a metal disc. If you lift up the disc about 2 inches you will hear a small metalic klink. That is the bottom end of the rod that runs from the metal disc all the way down to the steering box and to the horn switch. Once you hear the klink you are now in for one devil of a time trying to get the rod back into the tiny hole at the bottom of the tube where it fell out of and you cant see it at all.
            I did that once and learned a lesson.

Comment

pump

I had the fuel/vacuum pump on my m37 for a while thinking it would improve my vacuum wipers, it really didn't help so I now have a wm300 pump. I'm fairly sure an early cj5 pump will work on your jeep, probably also a good idea to at least for now add a mechanical oil pressure gauge, Just good piece of mind untill you verify the factory one is good or change it.

Comment

Working...
              X