Embarassed M37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarassed M37

Well did I get embarased today. We got slamed with a freak snow storm that dumped about a foot of snow on us and I had taken the plow off my tractor and put it in the shed. Today I needed it and so I drove the tractor over to the shed, installed the plow. The snow was deep and wet and the tractor got a bit stuck. No problem I will just go get the Dodge and pull it free.
    I hook up and start to pull and the Dodge starts slipping sideways on the incline. I try to go forwards and it slips more side ways. I am now getting very clost to some yound trees we planted. Forward or backwards I still keep just slipping sideways. Try as I may it wont go anyway but sideways.
    After a long time and very carful inching back and forth I get it clear of the trees . My neighbor came over with his super Quad that has a snow plow on it and managed to get the tractor free and saved the day...very embarasing.

stuck

I remember my father telling me about going to a friends house in his m37, he parked it on some black ice. He finished his visit and upon trying to leave the truck wouldn't move...put it in four wheel drive, truck still wouldn't go. eventually he used his winch to move the truck to where it could get traction. All this on a flat suburban driveway. He tells it better than I type it.

Comment

It is a difficult thing for military vehicle owners to embrace, but our trucks do tend to have limitations that we refuse to admit. The term "military vehicle" carries with it a hefty legacy. When we hear it, we think of synonyms such as "bulletproof" and "indestructible" and tend to believe that these descriptions actually apply to our trucks. On top of that, we have this inherent self-destruct tendency that we call "pride".

It does not take a lot of research to see the results of human pride. The Confederate Army at Gettysburg, Napoleon's trek to Russia, KaiserBoy and his M37, the list goes on. To complicate matters, MV owners have to deal with the aforementioned prevailing misconceptions that surround our trucks. "Dude, it's an Army truck, you can totally ford that river in it." To which the MV owner responds, "Dang straight I can...check this out..."

While it certainly is the case that our trucks are much more capable than our street hugging counterparts, they have their limitations. The next time someone questions your manhood because you refuse to attempt a 90 degree incline, you should realize that this person has nothing to lose. His truck is not on the line. When your truck inevitably tumbles end over end and comes to rest in a fiery display of carnage, your buddy will post the video on youtube. This person is not your friend.

I need to go, a buddy just bet me that my M37 couldn't out-pull is neighbor's bulldozer. Boy, will he look foolish.

Comment

Ah yes comforting words. Still to anyone watching the circus act yesterday it would look like the big ol " bullit proof" M37 could not pull the much , MUCH smaller tractor out of some snow.
        It was just the wrong battle. Heavy truck, deep snow, frozen ground, sitting side ways on a mild incline, tractor dug in pretty good and gravity.
        I guess the best part was my wife sitting on the tractor to steer it giving me the evil-eye because I was within inches of the baby trees we just planted because we thought we were done with SNOW. And before any body says anything she only weighs about 120 pounds. Ha Ha Ha..

Comment

Dude you can totally ford that river

Thats what they told me in Cavindish, VT
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dwDU...e_gdata_player

Comment

OUTELINE.

Reminds me of the driver in West Virginia nearing a small stream with a youg boy standing next to it. The driver askes the boy how deep the stream is and he says , "its only a few inches deep". The driver pulls into the stream and goes right up to the door handles!!
            He yells at the kid, YOU SAID IT WAS ONLY A FEW INCHES DEEP !!
            The kid says " heck sir its only up the the bellys on the DUCKS"..

drum roll and cymbal ding !

Comment

Tires?

I have actually seen a WM300 pull out a stuck deuce and a half... scary as ****, but it did the job!

Comment

Tires. 4 brand new 37 inch Superlugs.

Now for the real embarasing item.
                The snow is gone and I took the Dodge out to pull some of the snow felled trees out of the way and I figured I should use 4 wheel drive. My truck has locking front hubs so I go to click them into four wheel and I notice that they are in the open position.
                The thing was in the locked position prior to my getting stuck episode and in my haste I opened them prior to trying to pull out the tractor thinking they were in two wheel.
                Well smack me on the forehead and say DUH!. It is a reminder to STOP and engage brain before doing anything in haste. Now if I could just remember to do that each time....

Comment

Working...
                X