Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R2 Crash Truck: Is 100amp wiring worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Crash Truck: Is 100amp wiring worth it?

I have a '53 R2 and I'm considering removing the 100amp wiring harness the rats have chewed up. I love the easy-to-use, easy-to-access conventional 230 flathead of the M37, but this R2's 100amp harness has wires coursing all over the engine and cowling making just about everything a challenge to get to. It'll be a farm work truck, and I'm certainly looking forward to the rear PTO electric 112v generator for portable electric tool use. And the governor is all in place and in good shape. But these other wires, geeez! Are they really necessary? I don't plan on using all the emergency lights, siren, or any radios simultaneously (which I understand is the purpose of the rectifier and 100amp system).

Pro's and con's anybody? Is it really worth replacing? I know the harness is "historically correct" but it's just a tangled mess under the hood, making things hard to access.

Plus, I can't find any info on the system anywhere. Maybe if I understood it better, I would appreciate it more, buy I really see no need for it now. I'm not very electrically inclined but can get by on the simple stuff. This looks like a headache.

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Should it go or should it stay?

Gary in Denison, Tx

Cabell Garbee has a lot of info on the R-2, just do a google search for his name or Graves Mountain Trail Ride. Also try the g-741 page! Post a pic of your R-2, we like pic's!

Comment

To generalize, I think you will find that the 100 amp systems existed in several versions, and the parts for all of them are difficult to impossible to get.

If you value simplicity and ease in finding replacement parts, you would likely do better in going to the normal system, or going to a totally different 24 volt alternator.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Looks like the 100amp has gotta go..

I'd post a picture of the R2 but I can't figure out where to find out how to attach a photo. the icon above says "insert image by providing the URL http: address. But I can't find that. Computerese is a language I'm still learning.. Pictures are in harddrive and I can email, and if "brouser box" appears, that easy too. This one will take a moment to figure out..

Comment

Originally posted by garyt903 View Post
          thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Looks like the 100amp has gotta go..

I'd post a picture of the R2 but I can't figure out where to find out how to attach a photo. the icon above says "insert image by providing the URL http: address. But I can't find that. Computerese is a language I'm still learning.. Pictures are in harddrive and I can email, and if "brouser box" appears, that easy too. This one will take a moment to figure out..
          The correct button should say "Manage Attachments".

Comment

R2 Photo's

Thanks Bruce. That was easy once I found it. A rural volunteer fire department had this truck and put what looks like to be a 450 gallon water tank inside of it. They took out the PTO generator (and saved it thankfully), and installed a PTO water pump. The tank is on skids, so we should be able to get it out easy enough. Can you imagine driving this thing with three tons of water sloshing around in the back? Oy yoi yoi! There's many coats of flaking paint all over it. Not sure how to remove that from the interior. Air craft stripper works good but is highly toxic in enclosed spaces, and sand blasting is very destructive on interior pieces. I could paint the exterior aluminum body back in mil spec colors; or it might be fun to buff polish it out to a shiney finish. Many possibilities here I think.
            Attached Files

Comment

More R2 Photo's

One picture here, shows the tank pipe connection to the PTO water pump inside the truck. It's all gotta go. With a water tank full of water, it must have handled like a wagon full of cannon balls...
              Attached Files

Comment

I am glad you figured that out. BTW, Nice rig!
                Paint removal...... there used to be a product that you would paint on, place a piece of paper on the coated surface, allow it to cure a certain amount of time then peel it off?

Comment

paint remover..

Yes Bruce... and then there's that "orange" citrus based stuff that is not toxic but works pretty good...

Comment

R2 Crash Truck:Is 100amp wiring worth it?

Gary, I'm not an electrical person but the R-2 aux generator is a 230v, 3 phase,180 cycle, 3 KVA unit. The Pierce governor in the engine compartment and the frequency meter behind the drivers seat would be required to operate the generator if they have been removed.

Comment

Replace 100amp (230 flathead) generator with stock 45amp generator...

Hey that's good info. I had no idea the rear PTO generator was that powerful. I'm keeping that intact. It's the under-the-hood, engine compartment generator that I'm considering replacing. If I take off the 100amp generator and replace it with a conventional 45amp stock M37 generator, then (the theory is...) I can remove all the 100amp wiring harness which is deteriorated and is strung all over the engine area... any ideas on that? thanks

Comment

450 gallon tank on an m37?!!

geeze....

Comment

Working...
                        X