M37 Wooden Bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobbyMike View Post
    I'm not sold on Thompson's for durability, but I have had limited experience using it. Maybe someone else?
    That's odd. I've had no troubles with it. But maybe another brand would be more durable.

Comment

My only experience has been through my father-in-law, who is real particular. He was having to apply it annually to his deck.
      Location is such that it gets lots of sun during the summer, is wet during spring/fall and usually is covered by ice and snow all winter.

Comment

Thompson's was always the best, but I must admit that I have not used it since the latest EPA mandated re-formula. Like everything else that is now water based, the performance is worse than when we could apply oil based, radioactive, lead paints that really worked......

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
          Thompson's was always the best, but I must admit that I have not used it since the latest EPA mandated re-formula. Like everything else that is now water based, the performance is worse than when we could apply oil based, radioactive, lead paints that really worked......

Water based water repellant...makes plenty of sense to me. By the way, I'm leading a revolution to overthrow the EPA, anyone want to sign up?

Comment

Sign me up.

I, for one, think that all these agencies are getting too big. A few years ago we stopped at a rest stop on the Jersey Turnpike and saw ARMED FDA agents.

Give me a break.

Comment

Come on BobbyMike, we NEED protection from all those Mad Cows........

Comment

It doesn't matter what clear sealer you use as anyone of them will only last a year. Just read an article today in Popular Mechanics about this same subject. It would have to have UV inhibitors in it or some color like a stain to last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
                  Water based water repellant...makes plenty of sense to me...
                  Yep, they charge you $35 for a gallon of water.........= )

Comment

Sickcall

Originally posted by Sickcall View Post
                    It doesn't matter what clear sealer you use as anyone of them will only last a year. Just read an article today in Popular Mechanics about this same subject. It would have to have UV inhibitors in it or some color like a stain to last longer.
                    Is correct, UV inhibitors are gonna help, but it still will need to be re-applied seasonally!

Comment

About five years ago I put a new wood bed in my 72 chevy. I just milled 1X sugar pine from local lumber yard. I went cheap and did not even use clear but I did hand sort the boards. I milled it very close, bolted it very tight, and sealed it very well. The end result was when parked down hill it ponded water in the bed and did not drain!

Comment

My first Power Wagon, a truck that I acquired in 1973, had a replacement bed floor in it. Actually, that floor is still in it. The floor was made of plywood covered with a full-floor piece of sheetmetal.

You could even use treated plywood, and use two layers of 3/4 inch. A nice thing about wood, however, is that it is not so slippery as a metal deck. The sheetmetal over plywood bed floor is pretty quiet, however, unlike plate.

I did drill drain holes in it.
                        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Be aware that when you drilled the holes into the sheet metal, you most likely also drilled into the plywood? Water that goes into the drain holes could also run into the plywood, eventually rotting that area and the adjacent area between the metal and the wood.

Comment

I've always tried to steer clear of plywood in anything. I think I'll go with the white oak suggested earlier and apply water sealer every so often to it. It'll be under the shed most of the thime anyway.

Wes in GA

Comment

Marine grade plywood would probably be fine, but at $90 a sheet, you could almost buy the white oak.....

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                                Marine grade plywood would probably be fine, but at $90 a sheet, you could almost buy the white oak.....
                                Good point, but if I used marine grade stuff wouldn't I still have to (as Gordon was describing) top it with a full floor piece of sheet metal? If so, I'd be paying for the wood AND the sheet metal (which I think is available from VPW for $400) I'm just not looking to put that much into the truck (which is coming along very nicely by the way). Thanks for the advice, I'll post some pictures of the truck so ya'll can see how it's coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X