Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

m37 canvas seat covers! Has anybody ever made they're own? Pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m37 canvas seat covers! Has anybody ever made they're own? Pictures?

Hello,Just curious if anybody has ever made they're own seat covers,and if they have any pictures that they could share? Also,does anybody have pictures of the seat covers after they have been laced on (front and back)? What is a good price for replacement seat covers? How heavy is the canvas that is used? Thanks in advance,Joe

Joe - depends on what you want. If you have existing seats and want to cover in vinyl, or maybe a floral pattern, then you could probably sew them yourself. The mil spec canvas thou is thick and the thread is heavier than a regular sewing machine. Don't ask me why I know about sewing!!

I bought a set of seats from VPW, and a set of covers from New Life. Then I found some NOS seats and ordered a another set of covers from NL. Typically you're looking at a few months to get your order unless someone has some on the shelf. I paid $150 for the cover set and will most likely cover the VPW seats and sell them later this year.

Comment

Were the passenger seat bottoms just foam rubber underneath canavas,or did they have the spring assemblys like the passenger seat back and drivers seat bottom and back?? Joe

Comment

My son made seat covers for our M-35 out of shelter halfs...

Comment

Joe - the driver's bottom/back and the passenger back are the coil spring design. The passenger bottom is a 1/2" plywood with metal attachment hardware and a 4" foam pad. The board has a very distinct pattern of holes drill in it for ventilation of the foam pad along with having to sit over the battery box. I had the original board and attachment hardware but it was in very rough shape. I at least got to use it for a pattern to cut a new one. We painted it OD green and I think that there was some mfr's information stenciled on the bottom - if you're a puriest.

Comment

The reason for all the questions,is because I just made my own. I would like to make a few sets to sell. I hog ringed mine on the seats except for the passenger side seat bottom for which I used staples. I copied my originals,and they turned out great! I have all the original springs and foam you speak of,however I don't care to lace them on. Too sloppy looking. I whish I knew how to post pictures to show everybody.

Comment

One Of Mine

Both of my seats, (I'm just guessing) were original! I couldn't find the passenger seat base foto, but it was the same. I sold/gave it to Phil Lange in Sacramento for the cost of shipping, it was exactly as the drivers side, anchored to a new plywood base. Kurt in SOCAL sent me a complete T/O holey base, nice one too.

Comment

Wha...?!? You mean they weren't originally made of duct tape?

Mine aren't really tight , but they have probably seen lots of use. I assume they are original. How much for a set of covers? Are they just canvas? Mine seem more like some sort of oilcloth. Could just be dirt/sweat/grease. If seat covers could talk :-)
                img_0613_small.jpg

Here is a pic of the holes on the underside of the passenger seat.
                img_0614_small.jpg

I can measure the placement if you want to make one....

Comment

I see that the passenger seat bottom is exactly like mine. Its stapled on,but also has those weird stepped washers for lacing a lace on seat cover. I guess that the seat covers were either staple on,or laced on (passenger bottom). Mine is stapled on just like yours,and my seat covers were original.

Comment

Just testing...

Here's a picture of my seat covers...

Comment

here ya go...

I'm happy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I Gotta Ask

Hey Joe,
                        Is that wheel a new one or an NOS? Looks real sharp.

Comment

Bruce,its the original that came on the truck.

Comment

I'm in the process of recoving my seats, I found duck canvas on tarps we use for welding shields exactly the same material, same color / weight. you can probably get them from any farm equip or industrial supply pretty cheap.

Comment

http://www.mytarp.com/canvas-tarps-12-oz.aspx They come in different colors,and weights. There is a heavier version than this. The prices are right on too!

Comment

Working...
                              X