Differential Questions.....Locking or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Questions.....Locking or not

I'm sure this has been discussed, but are the front and rear differentials open, limited slip, locking?

I say this because I just got done trying to pull my junk m37 up a hill with my other m37 and I lost traction on the littlest incline and it just spun the left side tires, boy was I steaming mad. I hear a couple of loud pops that I didn't like but I think it was just my chain.

On second thought I think i just answered my own question...and did a little searching.

They are open correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Doakster View Post
      On second thought I think i just answered my own question...and did a little searching.

They are open correct?
      Correct...
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Lockrites and ARB's are the only two aftermarket locking differentials that I am aware of. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterYota View Post
          Lockrites and ARB's are the only two aftermarket locking differentials that I am aware of. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
          Are the lockrites similar to a limited slip? And I thought the ARBs where on hold and you couldn't get them right now? I could be wrong...if they are available where can I get them?

Comment

Lockrits function more like the detroit locker - 100% automatic locking differential. They just are not as strong as a detroit, as they replace only the spider gears, and not the whole carrier assembly.

As for the arb, I don't know if they are still available or not. Only that a limited run was produced. If any still exist though, or for sale, they will be found on this board.

Comment

The Selectable ARB locker was sold out. Dan made two runs of them. You might contact Dan Shockley to see if he has any plans for another run, He may start a list of interested folks and if he gets enough interest they could run another batch.
              However, he is currently working on selectable hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterYota View Post
                Lockrits function more like the detroit locker - 100% automatic locking differential. They just are not as strong as a detroit, as they replace only the spider gears, and not the whole carrier assembly.

As for the arb, I don't know if they are still available or not. Only that a limited run was produced. If any still exist though, or for sale, they will be found on this board.
                Where can I get a set of Lockrits?

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                The Selectable ARB locker was sold out. Dan made two runs of them. You might contact Dan Shockley to see if he has any plans for another run, He may start a list of interested folks and if he gets enough interest they could run another batch.
                However, he is currently working on selectable hubs.
                I take it Dan is associated with ARB?

Comment

No, Dan is one of "us" who contacted ARB and set up the limited run with them.

At the link: Power Wagon Lockers

Comment

I take it Dan is associated with ARB?

I've seen them on ebay. Plus any reputable gear vendor should be able to get them for you. Even most of the parts stores will sell lockrights should have a listing.

Comment

Lock-Right 1210

Type Lockright 1210 into a search engine and you will come up with many suppliers. Model 1210 is what you need for the M37 - that is if you want to put traction to the wheels on the ground rather than just the ones spinning in the air . . .

Comment

Here is a story I was told a few years ago. Can someone tell me if it could happen because of a locker. A fellow I new with a M37 put a lockright in his rear axle and loved it. But one day he parked facing up a steep hill. He got out and started to walk away and thruck started to go down the hill. The wheels were "ratcheting" or cliking as the truck went down the hill. Because the park bake on the M37 is on the transfercase that means if you brake a axle or a drive shaft no park brake. So could/would this happen because of the locker or maybe he had a broken axle and didn't know it. And the locker was trying it best to hold the truck in postion with just one wheel. Coments please.

Comment

Anything short of actually taking the axle apart and inspecting would be speculation, but while both scenarios seem plausible, a broken axle is most likely the cause. Even if a Lockright unloaded (it's not a true positive locker when not under a load), it would still need the opposite side axle to be free wheeling, so a broken hub flange or axle might cause that.

Comment

I would say that it is possible, and the cause is probably due to a broken axle shaft. The lockrite was still transfering power to the non-broken axle shaft, which allowed the driver to continue driving. An open diff would not have allowed this. When the vehicle was parked on the incline, the loss of input torque to the diff allows the lockrite to dissengage, and in laymans terms, neither axle (the good one, or the broken one) is now connected inside the diff. With no parking brake at the drum, when the vehicle started to roll, the locker could possible engage on the one side which would produce the ratcheting noise, as the other side has no resistance due to the broken axle.

I've never considered a situation like this before, but it is feasible now that I think about it. However, I don't think the cause could be attributed soley to the lockrite. Any style of automatic locker(detroit, lockright, ect...) could cause a problem like this, with a broken axleshaft. A selectable locker would show a broken axle much faster, as the vehicle wouldn't move when the locker wasn't engaged.

Comment

Yep

A broken axle shaft with a Lock-Rite in the mix will cause exactly what you describe. This is one of several scenarios that are quite common issues with Lock-Rites. Very likely there is a broken axle shaft, also very likely that the Lock-Rite is the reason it's broken. There is but one wise choice with a locker, that is the ARB air locker. Why? Simply because it can be disengaged when not needed instead of stressing the heck out of everything in sight when running on highway like a Lock-Rite does.

I know my statement concerning this hurts the feelings of some, sorry fellows, it's still the truth. If you haven't learned yet, hang on, your time will surely come.

Comment

Working...
                              X