M37 engine rebuild pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bruce

Thanks. Indeed, Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope all is well. If there ever was a fine idea for a thread hi jack this is it! Not exactly sure what you meant about meeting in Woodbridge....you like traffic or something?? haha. DC is bad enough. 95 north or south at the wrong time can be murder. I'll be passing through your neck of the woods next week. I'll give a tip o the hat to you on the way south. Cheers and a safe new year to ya.

Comment

Dew Drp In

I'm off till the 9th or 10th, need to check into that?
      Several years ago Carter & I met up at the outlet place, ikea maybe, I bought a passenger door and some outer goodies, then we went to Lawery's in Woodbridge for lunch (brown soup).
      If you got some extra time give me a buzz, I'm about 30 (+ or -) minutes from 95. Dorp me PM if you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Watt View Post
        DC is bad enough. 95 north or south at the wrong time can be murder.
        Amen to that. I've always said the only way you could convince me to live in DC is if you elect me president! In fact I plan on leaving for my parents at 2 or 3 am so I can get through DC about 5 or 6 am.

Merry Christmas everyone and regardless of the vehicle or the road, please drive safe.

Comment

" If there ever was a fine idea for a thread hi jack this is it! "

Hi jack all you want, I jacked my own thread anyway, your turn. : )

" I've always said the only way you could convince me to live in DC is if you elect me president! "

For me, not even if I were president, to many other people there that are sure they know what's best for everybody, even though they never met them.

Comment

Originally posted by carter davidson View Post
            Thanks, I hope it runs even better than it looks and it doesn't look all that bad considering a couple of shade tree mechanics are doing the work.

I have been following your progress also. Nice work, you have a really great looking truck. Post more pix when you have a chance, I enjoy seeing what other owners are doing with/to their rigs.
            Thanks, it's not going to be that great looking, unfortunately the guy I had paint didn't so hot a job. It'll need a cosmetic pass at a later date. That and I'm not really going for perfection. But the frame and underside is all protected from corrosion pretty well, and all the mechanical parts are rebuilt and should be stone reliable which is really all I'm after.

I'll have more pics up soon. I've made significant of progress since the last set.

Anyway merry Christmas to all, I've decided to spend all my holiday time wrenching this year, no rest for the wicked and all that.

Comment

Traffic in dc

this thread could morph into a "back room" post pretty quick. Traffic, politicians, wouldn't want to live there, etc. All valid opinions so far. Those of us who live it become somewhat indifferent to the surroundings. However, it does make one appreciate the quiet places and simple things life has.
              Keep the engine info coming in if possible it is all appreciated and worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Watt View Post
                this thread could morph into a "back room" post pretty quick. Traffic, politicians, wouldn't want to live there, etc. All valid opinions so far. Those of us who live it become somewhat indifferent to the surroundings. However, it does make one appreciate the quiet places and simple things life has.
                Keep the engine info coming in if possible it is all appreciated and worthwhile.
                No morph and more of my ranting Warren!

Comment

It runs.

A short update, the engine started easily and runs well with no unusual noises, good oil pressure and compression. At first we had some carb. trouble with a stuck float but after cleaning and kitting all is well and the most important part Ralph is happy. The engine was running when this shot was taken but the flash stopped the fan and belt's rotation.

Ralph

Comment

Sweet job, I love the satisfaction that brings...

My engine seems to be resisting. I need an SAE 3 flywheel housing with a mid mount starter, and haven't yet found one used for less than $400 when I can buy a new one for $560... It's tempting to just pay the $400 but for some reason I decided instantly when hearing that price there was some kind of principle that would be violated doing so.

So my engine has to sit and sulk in the corner until I can find a cheaper one or find a salvage yard I can find one in for less. My end of Feb completion date I believe just went out the window.

Comment

" My end of Feb completion date I believe just went out the window. "

It took me over 20 yrs. of very part-time work to complete my M37 restoration. Every year I told my wife that this would be the year I'd take it to the East Coast Rally but something always got in the way of that, usually being out of town for my job as a bridge inspector. The fun part was knowing that I could set a date and always revise my schedule since doing the work to the best of my ability was more important than cutting corners to meet a self imposed deadline. For me, always having something to do on my truck was as or more important than having it all done. Not that these trucks are ever done, there is always something to do.

My resto. pix on Webshots:
                      http://news.webshots.com/album/247061965WWtrqv
                      Last edited by carter davidson; 01-08-2009, 03:23 PM. Reason: Putting the words in I forgot the 1st. time :(

Comment

Could Not Have Said It Better

" My end of Feb completion date I believe just went out the window. "

It took me over 20 yrs. of very part-time work to complete my M37 restoration. Every year I told my wife that this would be the year I'd take it to the East Coast Rally but something always got in the way of that, usually being out of town for my job as a bridge inspector. The fun part was knowing that I could set a date and always revise my schedule since doing the work to the best of my ability was more important than cutting corners to meet a self imposed deadline. For me, always having something to do on my truck was as or more important than having it all done. Not that these trucks are ever done, there is always to do.

My resto. pix on Webshots:
                        http://news.webshots.com/album/247061965WWtrqv
                        I'm closing in on nine years with my rig, hope twenty is not a magic #?

Comment

Bruce, you MAY have more time to devote to it now than I did in those days, but to me 9 yrs. part-time isn't bad. I just hope it won't take me another 20 yrs. on the one I'm starting now. Don't know how I'll be when I'm in my 80s, if it takes that long.

I just noticed, your trucks delivery date, 1/23, is on my birthday but it's several, well more than several, years younger than I am.

Comment

I just noticed, your trucks delivery date, 1/23, is on my birthday but it's several, well more than several, years younger than I am.
                            Wow, same here. Happy birthday to us!

Comment

Small World, Ha-Ha

Funny thing, my wife's birthday too!!

Comment

So, how do we go about having an on-line birthday party? What games to play? Pin the tailgate on the M37 ?

Comment

Working...
                                X