NP200 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP200 Rebuild

Does anyone have any advice on rebuilding a NP200 transfer case?

Advice on where to get a rebuild kit and any gotchas would be great!

Go to www.jobrated.com & click on the transfer case link. They list a rebuild kit for the np200 for $250. I have not dealt with them nor have I worked on this particular case.

Comment

Who ever you go with I'd try to get the newer style seals, or if not count on buying them seperate. Check out this thread about half way down. The sleeves are probably a good idea too.

Not there yet with my build so I'm curious to see how it comes out, post pics.

Comment

Originally posted by gieselman View Post
        Does anyone have any advice on rebuilding a NP200 transfer case?

Advice on where to get a rebuild kit and any gotchas would be great!
        I replied to your e-mail on this subject earlier today. You mentioned gotchas, about the worst ones I can think of is the high-low gear thrust washer with the spline in it. It is made from cast & will crack/crush easily. These are exremely hard to come by, we have them in stock, ours are custom machined from 4140 alloy & heat treated. Will be there for the long haul, will not crack or crush like the originals will. I have stainless steel shifter shafts, originals are notorious for rust pitting in the seal contact area making it impossible to stop oil leaking. The stainless steel shafts are the last ones you'll ever need. Doing this job without redi-sleeves on the yokes will very likely be a leaker, I wouldn't waste my time.

Comment

I've started tearing my transfer case down, so far everything looks good. The manual mentions using a special tool to assist in removing and installing the idler shaft (if available), but doesn't really discuss what to do if it's not available.

Is this tool available somewhere? It looks like a piece of bar stock threaded to fit over the end of the idler shaft. How recommended is it? What is the removal/install procedure if you don't have one?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
            I've started tearing my transfer case down, so far everything looks good. The manual mentions using a special tool to assist in removing and installing the idler shaft (if available), but doesn't really discuss what to do if it's not available.

Is this tool available somewhere? It looks like a piece of bar stock threaded to fit over the end of the idler shaft. How recommended is it? What is the removal/install procedure if you don't have one?

Thanks.
            If you want the job done right, get the tools. 2 special tools are needed in relation to the idler gear. The spacer & handle assy so you can easily get the correct bearing set up & the shaft adapter so you can insert the shaft throught the gear/bearing / case assembly without messing up the shim pack & losing the predetermined set up. These tools can be custom machined.

Comment

Anyone have specifications or measurements for these? The book doesn't provide a lot of detail on their manufacture.

Comment

Charles could you post some pictures of these custom tools for reference?

Comment

Any progress...

Desoto61,

Did you get anywhere on your transfer case rebuild?

I'm planning on doing mine next week and was curious to know what you learned.

Regards,
                  Matt

Comment

I got mine finished a few weeks ago, except for some of the e-brake parts I need to refurb/replace.

I documented the buildup in the thread I have going in the 1-ton PW section here:
                    http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...?t=8864&page=2

just about every pic I took of the process (and there were a lot so I knew how to put it back together) is here: http://picasaweb.google.com/Desoto61...eat=directlink

I managed to borrow the idler shaft install/removal tool off someone but I have since found this site http://quad4x4.com/4x4%20Tools.htm, which offers one for sale (toward the bottom of the page). My neighbor cut me a piece of pipe on his lathe to use for setting the shims on the idler shaft prior to installing it.

I think it came out well. I had a minor issue while installing the idler shaft (it's a really tight fit and I don't think the install shaft fit quite right), but I don't think I did any real damage, unfortunately it will probably be a while before I'll get a chance to test it out.

If you have any questions there are plenty here (myself included) that will be willing to help.

My biggest tip is to make sure everything is really clean. I couldn't believe the amount of solidified lubricant in the various channels, spaces, gears, and holes.

Good luck.

Comment

My rebuild

Thanks Damien and Charles for all the help and advice.

Here is a link to my rebuild for reference:

http://blog.gieselman.com/post/NP200...e-Rebuild.aspx

Comment

Working...
                      X