Shimmy, Shimmy, Shake, Shake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimmy, Shimmy, Shake, Shake

At about 40 MPH, my WC-27 breaks into a nearly uncontrollable shimmy. Any advice of where I should turn my attention first? (I know it's not the shocks.)

Thanks, Terry

Most will say it's going to be in the steering linkages or the steering knuckles.

Steering linkages can be checked with someone turning the steering wheel while another observes all the parts as they move. Basically how much does the steering wheel move before the tires. or grabbing them and seeing what parts if any move.

Steering knuckles - jack up one side and try to shimmy the tire up and down.

And it may very well be a combination of both... A little slop in 10 different parts can add up to a very shimmy, shimmy, shake, shake.

Pieter

Comment

a couple of things

Something is wrong with the front end, but you are looking for the easy, low cost stuff to try first....

1. Changed any wheels round recently? If you have, change them back. get someone to drive in front of you at about 30 and watch the front wheels to see if one is bent or twisted.

2. Drop the tyre pressures a little.

3. If 1 and 2 don't improve it then you really are back to checking everything from wheelnuts to steering column.

Comment

Shimmy issues

Pieter and Gordon (wasn't that a '60s singing group?),

Thanks for the advice on where to begin. I'll spend the weekend on my back twisting, turning and bouncing the front end to try to determine where to start my repair.

Terry

Comment

Shimmy solved

I figured I'd try the simplest/easiest/cheapest fixes first, and on of a gun: The problem was solved with a simple wheel balancing.

Terry

Comment

Working...
          X