Introduction & Head machining question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank-

After looking at your head, I'd want to CC it and measure the volume before doing any more cutting- looks like it's been down that road already. The maximum stock compression ratio was 8:1 with the late model head and cam (specs changed in the mid-late 50's).

If you could take some close-up shots of one of your head chambers and post it as a reply to my "late model 230 head" thread, that would be great!

David Vizard installed 3 SU carbs on a Toyota Land Cruiser about 1978 for one of his friends for extreme off-road use in the West. It pulled like a freight train down low, and had better mid to top end than the stock carb. He had to do a lot of intake manifold development work, but it all paid off well in the end. What kind of Bike carbs have you used, and have some worked better than others?

Comment

What should the CC be on a standard unmachined head?

I'll get some close ups in the morning for you.

To be honest i had thought of using SU's, then let a couple of friends talk me out of it. I personally think they'd be the ideal carbs to use. I was thinking of using triple 1 1/4" SU's (1 per port). Then if i go for forced induction i can simply swap them for SU's off of MG Turbo Mini Metros which are built for the job. Plus i've got 6 Mini's and 2 MGB's, so i know SU's quite well.

Also i've been told to watch out for having trouble with vapour lock on these engines.
      Is this a common problem?
      I was thinking of removing the mechanical petrol pump and fitting a modern electronic petrol pump instead, to try an cure the effects of heat soak causing a vapour lock.
      What do you think?

Comment

I've never experienced vapor lock, but there is a heat shield between the exhaust manifold and the pump, so I suppose it could be a problem. If you fit an electric pump, you should have a "bump switch" to turn it off in the event of a crash to avoid fire.

SU's are a very good carb when tuned right, and if you know them and can get the parts, use them.

I've never CC'd the stock head, so I can't say. Compression started at 6.7:1, then went to 7:1, and finally to 8:1 over the years on the stock engines, one tractor puller ran 9.5:1 on 93 octane with the late-model head.

Comment

I looked up Vizard's SU Land Cruiser installation- he used (3) 2" SU's. The motor idled at 450 RPM, and low end "was like a steam engine from idle on up". It added 35 Hp to the top end, and was virtually unstallable.

The 6 cyl was likely the 3.8L (236 cu in) F or the 4.2L (258 cu in) 2F engine with a 3.5/3.7" Bore and 4 1/64" Stroke (102 mm). The F's developed 105 or 125 hp @ 32-3600 rpm, and 189 or 209 lb/ft Torque depending on compression ratio. The 2F developed 135 hp @ 3600, and 210 lb/ft @ 1800 rpm. Both had a single 2BBL Asin downdraft carb, and redlined @ 4000.

The 230 bore/stroke (3 1/4 X 4 5/8) and 3.7L displacement is very similar. I keep hearing that the vacuum characteristics of flatheads are different than OHV"s, but the SU has been around a long time, and was probably used on them. I think your friends might be in for a surprise.

Comment

Working...
          X