WWII Telephone Service Bed on Sacramento Craigslist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Telephone Service Bed on Sacramento Craigslist

I've no idea who this belongs to, just passing it along.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/1195235398.html

I can't access the Parts For Sale section with a new post, so this will have to do. Hope it's helpful to someone.

Russell

Not a WWII telephone body

This has been discussed on another Dodge forum and the consensus is that this is not a military body. Many of the old civilian telephone company trucks were painted O.D. I remember see Ohio Bell trucks this color in the 60s.

Mike Haines
    1943 WC62

Comment

Not a WC43????

There were only 370 WC43, Telephone Installation built. Of course, the beds would not have been built by Dodge and would have been supplied by one of several builders.

Remember, many military surplus vehicles had special equipment removed so they could be used as basic 4x4's on farms, ranches, and construction projects. I can't help thinking about all the command/reconnaissance cars that had the rear of their bodies cut off for this very reason.

Are you sure this bed was ever on a WC43?
      Attached Files

Comment

As stated, I'm only passing along the ad in case someone here could use the part. Not stirring up anything, guys.

Comment

WWII Telephone truck

Russell,
          I know you were just passing along info and that is appreciated. I just wanted to also pass along info to help any prospective buyers make their decision, I also don't want to stir anything up.

Paul, The bed on the WC43 on all period photos I've seen was not like the one in the photo you posted. The right front compartment door was rectangular and didn't have the angle to clear the fender. The rear fenders were also shaped different, they were slightly tear drop shaped.

Mike Haines,
          1943 WC62

Comment

I believe the one picture you listed is Ken Jennings wc 43 he built it out of a chassis he found and a bed. It is not original but there are 2 or 3 real ones out there in Europe and he wanted to do something close. 99.9% of people can't tell the difference in the few minor differences in beds but he found his in the same area

Comment

WC43 box

How many post-war boxes are out there, made? Here is a picture of the box I bought last month. It's a 1948 York Hoover, same style as the WC43 and Ken J's. My fold down door is split (double hinged) Ken's is single. As Paul says there are several manufactures listed and small differences between them. Ken's and mine lack a hole for the fuel tank filler neck , that the WC43 has, and are thought to be originally made as a trailer. Mine is on a home made trailer and may find it's way onto a WC or stay as a trailer. Here are more pictures: http://imageevent.com/wicked/vehicle...tyleutilitybox

Comment

Been a while since I posted anything but I saw this thread and the box on eBay and thought I'd share what I know. You are all pretty close in your assumptions so I'll just fill the gaps.
                This style ran from about '49 thru '58 with this bed being for a '53-'56 Ford pickup. Bell trucks were also O.D green so I can see the confusion.
                WC versions had Dodge factory WC fenders to the body because the body builder had standard fenders they used and the 7.50s wouldn't fit. The fuel hole is not there due to post WWII Chev/Ford had the tank in the cab.
                The filler panels along the bottom were for the Ford only as was the little filler step because Ford rear fenders were huge and factory box side were short.
                There was no side ladder rack but rather a overhead ladder/pipe rack that extended over the cab for storage. You order the bed with different door/drawer combos depending on the needs of the truck and or service. The builders name escape me at the moment but I'll look in my books and see if I can find a name.
                So no, it's not WWII WC phone bed.
                Here is a photo of restor'd '53 Ford Bell line truck with very same box on it.

Comment

Just remembered that Stephen Viola's site, Rustbuckets, has photos of a unresto'd WC-59 somewhere in California.
                  Looks to be original box to me due to the fenders but I could be wrong. Looks to have carry all rear fenders on it.
                  http://www.rustbuckets.com/sightings...truck_side.htm
                  Then of course Thomas Schouten's excellent site: http://www.wc43.com/
                  Quite a few good photos of his restored WC-43 and loads of info.

Comment

Another shot of the Ford in photo #1

And I see the craigslist link is old so here is the bed in question...
                    Drivers

Passenger side

Comment

Mr. Schouten noted that I do not have a rear bumper on my replica WC-43; as time permits and after a decent set of drawings of one are made available to me, I will be able to complete the body work.

It was unfortunate for me when I bought the truck that the original Dodge frame serial number had been ground off and a new, California Highway Patrol number stamped in the correct place; I have no idea which 1/2 ton model it was, as built. But as I had no real restrictions on body type due to missing documentation, I was able to use a body which is actually useful to me as an electrician and mechanic (it's now full of tools).

I would like to see the WC-59 restored- I have never seen one.

Interesting posts!

Best,
                      -Ken Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X