900 16 or 750 16 tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 900 16 or 750 16 tires

I am coming along on my WC 21 restoration, and it is time to buy tires.

Stock from the factory in 42 would have been the 750's I think. (confirm?) but I have seen the 1/2 tons sometimes with 900's. I incline to the 900's, because the truck will be a little faster down the road with them.

The pix on the front screen of this website- is that truck equipped with 900's or 750's. What sayeth the group on this choice?

Correct tire and wheel match

First, the 1/2 ton on Gordon's web front page is Tim Peterson's WC21. Tim "invented" the disc brake conversion. His WC21 has disc brakes on all wheels. The WC52 on my web site was Tim's and has disc brakes on all wheels.

Check my Kempner Power Wagon web site for more tire information. Click www.texaspowerwagon.com and scroll down to "Wheels and Tires" in the Frequently Asked Questions. There is a link on my page to Cabell Garbee's web site with more tire information.

Comment

I too am ready for tires for my WC-52, but still looking for a 'deal' on a set of 9.00 x 16.00 NDTs. Wallace Wade in Tx seems to have about the best price for these tires. Or is there a better source out there? Let me know where you guys are buying tires.

Thanks for the help
      Greg

Comment

900 vs 750 tires

thanks for the info. I will check to see which rims I have, suspect they are the 5.5"

any convenient place to measure to tell the differerence?

Thanks

Comment

the wc21 on Gordons front page

does that truck have 750 tires or 900 ?

Comment

Tim's WC21

The picture shows combat rims. They are 6.5" wide (measured between the bead flanges) and he has the 9.00 x 16 tires that are correct for that rim.

Comment

900 16 tires on a wc21

thanks for the info. I do like the look of the 900 16 tire on the truck.

any reason to think wc21's would not have been so equipped during the war?

I dont want to stray far from correct authentic.

Comment

Wheels

Well 3/4 and half ton WC wheels and tyres are interchangeable, so the answer to your situation is to have one set of 3/4 ton wheels with 9.00 x 16 on them for daily use, but keep a set of 7.50 x 16 on the original rims for authenticity.

I would NOT put 9.00 x 16 on the original rims though - not what they are designed for.

Comment

authentic tires

Thanks for the reply

I was afraid that would be the consensus.

I have 2 m37 rims, looks like I am need to find a few more.

Comment

I went with the 750-16s on my WC-13, but I bought them too early... Universal came out with the original directional tires about 3 months after I got mine. It would have looked even more original..... oh well, next time.

Comment

750-16 directional tread

how bad does it bother you? I am going to get the 750-16 NDT, and I will be at Evansville.........

Comment

It doesn't really bother me at all, I just saw all the original photos with the chevron type tires and found out too late that I could have gotten some. Like I said.... oh well.... I'm putting quite a few miles on this truck so maybe these will wear out soon and i'll get some. lol

Comment

I have 5 spilt rim Budd wheels from my m37 - blasted, primed, painted. They are 49# a piece so shipping is cheaper if you have a place for a dock to ship common carrier.

Comment

rims

How much do you want for 2? are you going to evansville?

Comment

I have 7.50-16 NDT's on my WC-43 replica- it goes slowly on the interstate (50 mph or so), but it climbs really well and it looks correct.

Many people today like "aggressive"-looking trucks, and so to them bigger tires is meaner-looking.

I personally don't like the 9.00-size tires because the vehicle's drive train was not designed for the additional torque required to speed up the truck in any selected gear. This results in extra wear to the clutch, trans, transfer case, U-joints, and axles.

Lastly, the faster you go, the harder it will be for the 1940's-designed brakes to stop your historic vehicle.

7.50-size tires are what they were designed to use.

-Ken J

Comment

Working...
                              X