help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me out

I just want to know as much about this vehicle as can be told from the pictures. I can't do anything to it yet, but would like to start coming up with some ideas while it's sitting, waiting for me to put some money into her. I don't have any good pictures of the caryall online, but I'll post what I have. Mainly, I would like to know what to look for to figure out what axles are under it and what not. What axles were available under these? transmission? motor?

thanks
    -Brandon

what are the rims and tires run on these? Another pic ->

Comment

Hi Brandon, your WC-53 looks like mine. I wonder where that blue exterior and white interior comes from? Possibly Air Force. Most all the parts, except the body, interchange with all the other 3/4 ton WC's. The carbs could vary, Zenith or Carter. 8500 Carryalls were built during 1942-43.They came with a Dodge flathead six, I think Dana axles, but I'm not sure about the transmission. Those are combat rims 9.00 x 16. Your headlights aren't stock, the stock ones are smaller. Do you have the lower tailgate, they're usually missing or pretty banged up?
      Are you keeping it stock? Thats the route I'm going as I have a passion for history................Good Luck, John

Comment

What dana axles are they? I seem to have a hard time finding any information posted online about these. I haven't decided what I'm going to do for a drivetrain. If it were in good shape, I'd run it but the vehicle sat out in the wy weather for 25 years with the hood and air cleaner off. This is a future project vehicle- I have others in line first that are closer to completion (drivability). thanks for the info I do have the lower gate, but I don't have any pics posted online yet of the back half. The lower half was in better shape than my top half. The right window in the gate had been welded shut at one point in time and the surrrounding area is beat up a bit and started to seperate at the floor. The guy I got it from said he took it further than any jeep he'd ever had and to places that he doesn't even make it on his quad now. I'll have to see if I can get any copies of pics from when he had it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. That's an amazing find. I've always had a soft spot for the carryalls even though I went the Power Giant route. Steve

Comment

Small bucks - big bucks

All the mechanics are common to all the 3/4 ton WC T214 series Dodges, with the exception of the rear driveshaft and chassis which have a specific length for the Carryall. They are pretty much unbreakable in normal use and they made hundreds of thousands of them, so the cheap and easy solution is to stick with stock which will not only work but is easy to find replacements for.

They made 8400 of these, and a load of them have been chopped, wrecked, or so heavily converted that they could never be put back to original. Numerous people have done very nice conversions with Cummins power, power steering different axles and wheels. See the Carryall thread on here for a very nice four door currently under way, but note that the guy started with a truck that was already heavily chopped so he wasn't wrecking an original.

Now for the bucks. It'll cost a pile of money to get this looking good, whether you modify it and swap everything or whether you go back to stock - the difference will be what it is worth when you have finished. If you change anything, particularly the body, you are taking piles of $$$ out of your pocket and setting fire to them. The further from stock you go, the less $$$ it will be worth, with the possible exception of a world-class fabrication and rebuild job and even that will have a very small potential market when you are finished.

You can find any of the original parts you require, but things like the tailgate, liftgate, battery box, rear window winders, rear body latches and the like will cost money, but if you do buy them you are keeping value in the truck (and in your pocket)

Advantages - well if the engine is toast just find another T214 engine and drop it in - possibly the easiest contemporary Dodge engine to find, same with transmission, transfer, front end metal (except the hood which is specific to WC53 Carryall and WC 54 Ambulance) steering, instruments, etc.

Disadvantages? well the WC 53 was made to drive up to 55mph (governed)and will sit there all day in stock configuration. If you really want to sit at 70 you'll have to change the engine, drivetrain, brakes, suspension, and steering, as none of them are up to real use at that speed.

Yes, personally I'm hinting you should just keep it stock, but it is your truck. You just needed to know that every cut in the body is Dollars down the drain before you do it - not after.

the other Gordon, in Scotland.

Comment

Carryall

Nice find!

The axles are Chrysler, not Dana. Parts are available, but as a practical matter, only two ratios: 5.83 and 4:89. Disc brake conversion kits are available, as well as the model 1210 LockRight locker, and at times the ARB selectable locker. The ring and pinions are relatively strong, but the axle shafts are not and tend to be the weak link.

I have chevron patterned tires on my WC63 which look like the ones on your truck. Mine were retreads over the non-directional tire (NDT) pattern, and are stupid heavy. The NDT pattern is original, but there are many 16" tires in the 34" to 37" tall sizes available on the market which give much better traction.

You have the two-piece, Budd combat rims, which are correct for your truck.

Comment

Thanks for the helpful posts guys. I'm just trying to learn all that I can for now. I do not at this point in time plan on modifying this truck heavily. I think they look absolutely awesome. Never do I plan on selling this vehicle- I have had plenty of people try to buy it from me. I actually had it given to me by the previous owner- a good family friend as he wanted to see something good done to it instead of going to the scrap yard. I will probably obtain the original axles if possible. But, it will most likely get a newer engine when I get around to it. As for which one- I'm still open to possibilities. I do like the dependability of a fuel injected motor though and a diesel setup sounds nice for a rig this tuff looking. I'm currently getting ready to put an lq4 (ls-based 6.0L small block chevy) into my corvette.

What size ring gear does this chrysler axle have? And does the axle have a name?

Comment

5.83's

It's 5.83 in the 3/4 ton trucks, so that's what you'll have. It is possible to swap them out with the 4.89's from the 1/2 tons - that's about the only sensible change to the original axle configuration, but then everyone wants the 4.89's for just this reason. Gets you a few extra mph or keeps your revs down at the same top speed.

The original axle description is probably most commonly called the " 42-45 3/4 ton military WC axle " I've never heard it called much else, though it will have part numbers and so on.

(the 4.89's are found in the " 40-41 half ton VC and WC axle " if you are going looking for them.0

Comment

axle

Originally posted by bbeck View Post
                    What size ring gear does this chrysler axle have? And does the axle have a name?
                    I always thought the 3/4 tons all had 9 5/8" Ring gear, but now I see on VPW's site that some early WC 5.83 sets were 8 3/4" - this is news to me: http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/pd...11rearaxle.pdf.

This page has a good exploded view of your front axle: http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/pd...0frontaxle.pdf

More info: http://www.uglytruckling.com/WC%20Tr...%20manual1.htm

Comment

Brandon, for your viewing pleasure. It may not be stock but the engineering qualities are worth a peek.

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/1943dodgecarryall

And what you can do with it later.

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/translabrador2005

Comment

I wonder how many people have come across the 8.75" ring gear in their caryalls? I imagine it would still hold up for a while.. especially with the original motor.

and steve, I have taken a look at some of your projects and I think they're all very well thought out and executed. I am definitely open to the idea of a modern drivetrain when I do mine though. It looks like I'll be starting out with a decent body. What did you get the rear doors from? Did they come from an ambulance? or? I like the idea of the doors vs. the gates.

Comment

some info on the axles in steve's pics:
                          http://photos.imageevent.com/moosecr...rchanges/3.pdf

Comment

Brandon, Those projects belong to another gentleman with the engineering skills. I'm only wishing I was that skilled.

Comment

Brandon,

Very nice find! You might also try the PW Forums, as the truck also has a lot in common with them (http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/wwwboard/index.html).

The Engine should be the tried and true Chrysler L-Head 230 cu in. A solid low RPM torque engine used in many many applications.

The Tranny is likely a New Process NP420 4 speed.

The T-Case would be an, probably the single speed version of the NP200.

The axles are Chrysler Full Floating Hypoid Axle with Tracta Joints Front and Full Floating Hypoid Axle Rear. Only known gear option 5.83:1 and 4.89:1.

Look forward to your work,
                              Will
                              http://powerwagon.wawii.com/
                              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                              Will
                              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"