41 WC Gear Ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 WC Gear Ratio

Hi. I would like to change the 3rd member in my 41 WC closed cab. Is there different 3rd members that will bolt into the pumpkin housing. I'm willing to redo the axles and or drive lines. I would like to make the truck go 70 mpg and get better gas mileage.
    Thank You

70mph in a 41 WC....

Might want to take other things into consideration such as steering and brakes...

pieter

Comment

Thanks, I've already looked at that. I'm installing disk brakes on the front and looking for power steering box. The engine has already been changed it has a chevy 6 292 with a turbo 350 trany and transfer case.

Comment

How well did that 292 fit in the engine bay? did you have to do any modifications to the firewall?

Comment

The fire wall has been modified a little but mainly the floor.

Comment

Only available choice is a higher ratio (gearing down)

The gearing you have is 4.89:1. That's the one that folks use to increase truck speed by replacing the 5.83:1 that is standard in the WC 3/4 ton, most Power Wagons, and all M37's. These are the two gear ratios that fit these old Dodges.

Since you are not concerned with originality, you can pick and choose from all the available axles of all the various manufacturers, and the many gear ratios that are available for them.

Comment

41 wc gear ratio

Greg,
              Some of the commercial Dodge 1 Tonners used a 4.3 ratio,same "pumpkin"as you fellas call it.In Australia, it was used in the Fifties Models such as A226E.There are several 1/2Tonners here using this ratio,and with the stand
              ard driveline,you could expect 58MPH quite comfortably on 750x16's.
              Warren.

Comment

3rd member

Greg, if your getting rid of your 4.89's I would be interested.

Thanks James

Comment

Hello Greg,
                  Any 1940-1960 Dodge 1 ton 8&3/4" third member will fit in your pumpkin. The 1946 and on up members were 4 pinion instead of 2, (sronger). You will have to have the proper axle shafts as the spline count changed also. Get a copy of John Zentmeyers "Dodge Power Train Interchanges" book. It will tell you all you need to switch out the third members. I installed 4.30's in my WC-12. Now I can cruise at 55-60 @2500RPM's. With the 900-16's' Im running, the final ratio is 4.05. I still have the 230 in it. With the Cheby 6 you have in it, the truck would scoot right along. You will also need step studs to change out the mounting studs on the axle housings. VPW has them. It's an easy modification that can really improve road speed. You will lose some off-road capability since you have taller gears but, in granny low, it will still get you where you want to go. Hope this helps.

Comment

It appears I may be wrong as far as some interchanges go. All 1 ton from 1940 to 1956 will interchange and from 1957 to 1959 the 2 and 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton models (Rear Pumkin) and the 2 wheel drive 1 ton models will fit. Sorry for the mistake.

Comment

41 WC Gear Ratio

Does anyone have a 4.3 ring & pinion set for sale,or info on where to purchase? Thanks, Warren

Comment

Working...
                      X