Command Car Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command Car Identification

I just purchased a "barn find" command car. The data plate is missing, but the serial # on the frame is 81545577. It has a MU2 winch & bumper, but there are some angles bolted onto the frame at the extensions and the winch doesn't appear to be mounted correctly, causing me to question if it is a WC57 or WC56 with a winch added on. Can anyone tell me which model I have by the serial number? I haven't been able to determine by searching the web. Thanks for the help.

Jared Weeks
    Sumner, Wa.

If you have a body code tag on the truck, that would differentiate a WC-58 from the 56 & 57. Does the truck have a US registration number? If so they are different for the WC-56 and the WC-57.

If you don't have any of that then you can get a build card from Chrysler Historical and I might then be able to help. So, you can't tell if its a WC-57 that had its frame rails cut off and then redone with angle vs. a WC-56 that had a winch added on? Is that correct?

Kevin

Comment

Command Car ID

Thanks for the info Kevin, your assumption about the winch added on is correct. Where would I find the body code tag? It appears the angles added on the frame extension channels are for attachement & re-inforcement. Someone did a fairly decent job of adding them (bolted, not welded), as there is less than a 1/4" parallel gap between angles added over the top and bottom on the outside the frame extension channels from the rad to the bumper, and a piece of channel fitted nicely to the entire length of the inside. In the small gap between the outside angles, I can see a vertical splice in the frame extension rails about 6 1/4" from c/l of the top spring mount hole. I'm guessing the 6 1/4" dimension is actually the factory length of a WC56 frame? If so, It's probably a WC56 that someone added a MU2 and correct bumper with extended frame channels cut off another truck. I aded some pics at: http://imageevent.com/jaredweeks/commandcar

Comment

Try looking on the cowl under the hood. Check out this site, they have a photo of a body tag for a WC-58 on there.

http://www.command-car.com/commandcarcom2.html

Click on "Technik Details" and then go into the "Serial Numbers" section.

Comment

Unless I'm seeing a shadow, it looks like your registration number might be visible on the hood through the paint? If not you could wet sand it down to get to the numbers.

Comment

Command Car ID

I know there is at least two coats of paint over the original, could be more. The body code tag is 4219 3354. I picked up this truck from an estate to re-sell it, so I want to represent it as accurately as I can. The previous owner purchased it at auction in 1975. I have the title that was issued in 1975 and there is no serial numbers on it relating to the command car that I can tell. I understand there were some trucks returned from Europe around that time?

Comment

It looks to me like an early WC56 with a 1/2 ton WC style MU winch added to it rather than the correct MU2 WC57s and 58s came with. how much?

Comment

What tips you off to determine it may be an early WC 56? The winch number is MU2A 90837. Any ideas on winch model year? I'm going to ask $8K.

Comment

The grill is non winch WC56, the filler neck on the fuel tank is the earlier style. I dont know when they started with the large filler neck but kinda late in production as most do not have it. the sliding collar on the winch is on the passenger side like an MU. MU2 winches have the collar on the drivers side. maybe someone rebuilt an MU with an MU2 gear housing. they are the same housing I believe.

Comment

Working...
                  X