• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt

when did the WC go from 6 to 12 volt

Be more specific...

Which "WC" are you asking about?

All civilian WC (1/2 ton 4x2) were 6 volt.

Military 1/2 ton Dodges WC1 through WC50 were 6 volt except WC8, WC16, WC25 & WC42 which were 12 volt.

Military 3/4 ton Dodges WC51 through WC60 were 6 volt except "command car" WC58 which was 12 volt. The "command car", WC56 and WC57 was orignally 6 volt but may have been 12 volt by MWO or later production changes. My earlier references indicate that the "carry all" WC53 was orignally 6 volt but later references indicate that WC53's were 12 volt, again as the result of MWO's or later production changes.

Military 1 1/2 ton Dodges WC62 and WC63 were always 6 volt.

Comment

the WC56 and WC57 are all 12 volt. All WC 53 are also 12 volt. Late in the war the WC 51 and WC52 and WC54 also started to be produced in 12 volt. In the WC 51s and 52s that were factory 12 volt the battery was relocated to the front passenger side tool box. only a gues but i think the WC 62/63 would have also gone 12 volt late in the war along with the ohters as to standardize. Although I have not seen one. But have seen a number of factory 12 volt weapons carriers, and ambulances from 45 maybe late 44

Comment

Steve, mine app. are 1945 63's, I doubt they will come with a battery, how do I know if they are 6 or 12 volt. I remember my 47 wdx was converted to 12 volt but I kept the 6 volt floor started, always started fast, never had a problem, is this a good way to go

Comment

Steve do the wc62s have floor starters

Comment

Originally posted by clueless View Post
            Steve, mine app. are 1945 63's, I doubt they will come with a battery, how do I know if they are 6 or 12 volt. I remember my 47 wdx was converted to 12 volt but I kept the 6 volt floor started, always started fast, never had a problem, is this a good way to go
            I would think there would be tags on the starter, generator, or regulator, that would offer an answer.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

12 volt

Clueless, they all have floor starters. you can tell by reading the tag on the gen and/or regulator. Also if you have any good pics of engine compartment I can tell by seeing the generator usually. The factory 12 volts are a massive 70 lb beast.

Comment

Working...
              X