B-series cab on WC51 chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-series cab on WC51 chassis

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=46684&id=1649285161&saved#!/album.php?id=1649285161&aid=46684

here are pics of my newest project.
    it is a 1952 b-series pickup truck sitting on a WC51 chassis.
    after talking to the PO he has the manual for the command car and all the parts to rebuild the motor.
    I will need to do the reassembling of it but hey that is why we buy projects.
    it has a 112" wheelbase, a b-series truck cab and an unknown bed.
    I was unable to read the number stamped into the front drivers side frame.
    it has the original pintle hook hitch on the back of the frame just under the bed.
    there is some writing on the bed as well.
    "MOBIL MAINT" and "US ARMY 2441261"
    these are on the tailgate and I am not sure what they mean.
    can someone help me with this?
    the block number is 1484029-83
    the last 2 digits are hard to read upside down and I will be able to read them better once I get the truck and all the pieces home.

thanks in advance for any information you can give me about this.

John
    Washington

I forgot to add
    the bed measures 80" front to rear and 63.5" from inside bed rail to inside bed rail.
    if that matters
    Last edited by M37 B-series Cab; 04-19-2010, 12:03 AM. Reason: forgot info about bed

Some things to look at.

The WWII 1/2 ton command car had a 116" wheel base, and the WWII 3/4 ton command car had a 98" wheel base. Both had “knee action” (lever) shocks front and rear. Half ton engine block serial numbers would start with T207, T211, & T215. Three quarter ton engine block serial numbers would start with T214.

The M37 cargo truck and the M42 command version of the M37 both had a 112" wheel base. Both had tubular shocks, front and rear. Engine block serial numbers would start with T245.

The 112” wheel base suggests that you have a M37/M42 frame. This is further suggested by the M37/M42 bed. This is contradicted by you having the “knee action” (lever) shocks. If the knee actions are original to your frame, you have either a shortened ½ ton command car or a stretched ¾ ton command car.

Your photos do not show if your frame has been modified. They do not show the pintle hook. The WWII style is different from the M37/M42.

The number 2441261 on your tailgate is the Army registration number for the M37/M42 that the bed was originally mounted on.

These are a few clues that might help.

Comment

Thank you for the response Paul.
      Now I am more confused about what it is then I was when I started. (LOL)

Next time I go to the truck I will get a pic of the pintle hook hitch.

I did not see any place where the frame was shortened or lengthened.
      I also was not looking for that.
      I will look harder next time I go.
      (the truck is sitting at a friends house until I can get my garage built to put it in)
      The knee action shocks look to be original.
      I did not see any place to install "standard" shocks. that I did look for.

When was the M37/M42 built?

Comment

Working...
      X