Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wc 56

pros and cons?

looks like the wc53 repairs may NOT work out.

im thinking i could reuse MOST of my stuff in a wc56, and part out the remains of the wc53.....

im listening.

They are really neat looking, but open cab. All of which you knew, I suspect. I would think it would be easier to find a carryall, given numbers.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

well, im having a hard time finding a reasonable WC53, that is not going to require MASSIVE amounts of body work. im not giving up YET.

how many wc56's were made?

the soft top on the 715 was not bad. but i cant figure out wc56 doors, or how they work

Comment

Cold

Soft top vs. hard top. Vinyl windows vs. glass. Wind noise, elements, bugs....I suppose you could use your frount clip, and put it under another rig. What about a 4 door power wagon truck? Just a couple of thoughts. James

Comment

open vs closed

I have owned many of both and put lots of miles on them too. after having open I will never go back to a closed. i had a Carryall and realized the body was so weak and not designed to be on a 1 ton 4x4, and it shook and rattled everywhere. The WC54 body on the other hand was very solid and obviously built for a truck. My WC57 had the 4 canvas doors and I installed a heater in the front and one in the back and even in the snow storms I drove it around in here in WA it was warm enough. and driving in heavy rain you would sometimes get water on your leg from somewhere but over all the big reason I will always have an open version WEapons Carrier or Command is because driving in the summer is so much fun. and much quieter than driving any closed cab. The lack of loud gear noise with top off makes driving them much easier on the mind and body especially on the longer trips.

Comment

Thanks kaegi.

Thats one of the things I wanted to hear. I will say it has taken an inordinate amount of time, and sound deadening to quiet the body. Which is one of the reasons I'm so gun shy about doing it again. The rear of a wc53 flexes A LOT.

now, I just need to find a body and frame wc56.

Comment

open

Originally posted by mcinfantry View Post
              Thanks kaegi.

Thats one of the things I wanted to hear. I will say it has taken an inordinate amount of time, and sound deadening to quiet the body. Which is one of the reasons I'm so gun shy about doing it again. The rear of a wc53 flexes A LOT.

now, I just need to find a body and frame wc56.
              so you want to put all your diesel parts in one? you can buy a Command Body from the guy in Oz. throw it on a WC51 or 52 frame? Have you seen those bodies? Amazing work.

Comment

Originally posted by mcinfantry View Post
                pros and cons?

looks like the wc53 repairs may NOT work out.

im thinking i could reuse MOST of my stuff in a wc56, and part out the remains of the wc53.....

im listening.
                I'm working hard to have one built from the ground up with new sheet metal. It would be a great repower unit because it's not a numbers matching unit anyway. It will have all new rear floor ,sides and tailgate. The original cowl,hood and front fenders are really nice. I'll be building another on a wc52 chassis and i would like to build a command car crew type unit on my wc63..

Comment

I'm really leaning towards a 56.... Have not found one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsammy View Post
                    I'm working hard to have one built from the ground up with new sheet metal. It would be a great repower unit because it's not a numbers matching unit anyway. It will have all new rear floor ,sides and tailgate. The original cowl,hood and front fenders are really nice. I'll be building another on a wc52 chassis and i would like to build a command car crew type unit on my wc63..
                    GREAT talking to you today!

I'm excited again!

Comment

Bent frame

Lee, what are you going to do with your old frame? How much damage to the frame rails? I'm looking for a Carryall frame for a project, could have some damage. Also did you cut much from original to fit your 4BT? Any way I would be interested if it's for sale.
                      James

Comment

Originally posted by HRT5SLCFD View Post
                        Lee, what are you going to do with your old frame? How much damage to the frame rails? I'm looking for a Carryall frame for a project, could have some damage. Also did you cut much from original to fit your 4BT? Any way I would be interested if it's for sale.
                        James
                        I cut the cast mid motor/trans mounts off the frame.... The frame may be useable. I won't know till I get it back. I'll probably start selling/parting all that stuff......

Comment

James, I have a 42 carryall that the back cab was cut off of, and an A frame welded on to. I am going to part it out. I believe the frame is in good shape other than the welds on the rear of the frame. Let me know if you are interested, Matt Ely, Bozeman, MT , elyoneone@yahoo.com.

Comment

Carryall frame

Matt sent you a E-mail.
                            James

Comment

Wow... Old thread.

However, glad to inform you that I will be seeing you in a few weeks... And tagging along with me will be this old fellow... Not the dog.. ha ha..

1942 WC56 Frame

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X