Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot wc52 engine hard to start

Hi,

I have a wc52 engine which starts fine when cold, idles nice with good road performance. However, when the engine is hot, running for an hour in a slow parade, it is hard to start without letting cool down completely. Perhaps it just floods easily and I am not careful enough. Opening the hood to cool it down faster did not help nor did a little starting fluid. Naturally when it did start, it had a little gas in the system since I eventually flooded it.

I would assume carburetor tuning could help unless I am getting a vapor lock with my hot engine. Someone mentioned to me that my coil was going bad, allowing a hotter spark to be generated which would inhibit starting a hot engine.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

Al

Vapor lock

Although it certainly could be something else, that does sound very much like a vapor lock condition. Is your heat shield missing?
    DavidGB

Comment

Years ago I had the same problem with my WC52 and made a new longer pump to carb line which was bent to lay further away from the exhaust manifold and that cured the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by carter davidson View Post
        Years ago I had the same problem with my WC52 and made a new longer pump to carb line which was bent to lay further away from the exhaust manifold and that cured the problem.
        Good idea.

As a simple diagnostic, cool the line and pump with a wet rag and spray bottle. It will likely start then, confirming the cause. Engine overheating or marginal overheating symptoms can be relieved with a spray bottle on the radiator core, or garden hose mist if you have it available.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Hot wc52 engine hard to start

Hi,

Thanks for the guidance. Come next summer, I will try it out on a hot day. I do have a heat shield so maybe extending the line away from the manifolds may help if cooling the line down first solves the problem.

So I assume the comment about a bad coil starting a hot engine is all wet then?

Al

Comment

Originally posted by mt_wc52 View Post
            Hi,

Thanks for the guidance. Come next summer, I will try it out on a hot day. I do have a heat shield so maybe extending the line away from the manifolds may help if cooling the line down first solves the problem.

So I assume the comment about a bad coil starting a hot engine is all wet then?

Al
            Someone mentioned to me that my coil was going bad, allowing a hotter spark to be generated which would inhibit starting a hot engine.
            Your coil could be going bad, yes, but the second part about hotter sparks causing difficulty starting is not correct. I would not immediately suspect the coil.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
            X