Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 Carryall Questions...

Hello,

I'm looking at a 1942 Carryall and would like some input as to value. I know it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, just don't want to overpay.

Let me know what you think it is worth from the pics. Seller states he does not have the wipers, headlight guards, bumper, winch, passenger seats, one rear glass panel. States that it is original and complete drive train, ran last in 1975, sheet metal is basically good with some problem areas, rear doors function but are beat up a bit, wood floors are gone.

I know this would be a major project.

Thanks for your input!
    Attached Files

Value

Carryalls are awesome. Very awesome. However, it would be a mistake to ever think of such a purchase as an investment (not that you are.) I would suggest looking at what is currently available as well as any recent sales, taking into account location and condition to get some feel for it. Check out the sold trucks at the Dodgepowerwagons.com site for example. There are so many factors involved. If you have the money and the process of fixing one up isn't important then you will be ahead of the game finding one already done. You may have to be patient though. If you like the work and want to do it mostly yourself then one like you have found is a fine starting point. You will still need to expect to spend a pretty penny for parts etc. and, again, you will need to be patient. Regarding the one you have found: No Carryall came originally with a winch so you are not, strictly speaking, missing one. Very few unrestored ones still have all the seats. The condition of the rear doors is important. Do the window mechanisms work? (Glass is easy.) Rust? Missing parts will add up. (You can price out many of these from the various sources available.) All that sheet metal will take hours, and hours.
    But,
    Carryalls are awesome.
    DavidGB

Comment

Judging from the few conversations I’ve had with you on the forums, it seems you are somewhat new to the world of old Dodge trucks and are currently in the process of gathering information so that you can make a wise decision about purchasing one.

So far I like your approach. The best advice I can give you is to keep doing what you’re doing for a while. Gather all the information you can before jumping in too far. Too many people buy early and try to figure things out later. Often times these people end up selling their trucks as unfinished projects. Ultimately their final vision for the truck is not realized because they failed to accurately estimate the time or money it would take to see the project through to the end.

One of the common themes around here is that the hunt for the right truck is just as enjoyable as any part of ownership. If I could give you only one piece of advice it would be to look at several trucks and don’t worry if you miss out on one or two. Keep looking until you are confident that you have found a truck that will fulfill your final vision, your final budget, and your final timeline.

Buying a truck from photo classifieds is tricky business. Giving you an estimated value is equally as tricky. Photo classifieds are great for locating a truck, but you must go look at it in person before determining if it’s the right truck for you. Only by seeing it with your own eyes can you determine if the initial price and condition of the truck, combined with the needed repairs, fits within the parameters of your final budget and timeline. Your eyes will see things that the camera doesn’t. In the end, going to look at the truck before trying to make any valuations may save your truck from joining the list of unfinished projects in the classifieds.

With regard to this particular truck, the photos are inconclusive to say the least. I would go look at it in person if your situation allows. They are sweet trucks. Enjoy the process of the hunt.

In the meantime, engage in conversation with Bruce in BC and the good folks in the WC53 Carryall thread.

Comment

Thanks, some wise advice there. I have pretty much decided to pass on this Carryall. Too much of a project for my skill set at this time.

You are correct, I am new to the world of Power Wagons and I am enjoying the hunt. :)

Comment

I've seen the listing for this truck anyways. The seller is asking a bit much IMO, and seems pretty firm on price.
          1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Well, when I spoke with him about it, he jumped down from 7K to 5K. I think he'll deal, but that is a lot of work for whomever gets it.

Comment

Not too bad

There is a lot more there, than most trucks found. I do think that a PW truck would be much easier to restore, but the Carryalls are way cool. Get what you want. In the current economy, beat him up a little more. After several hundred hours into my Carryall projects, they do eat up the time. The money, if spent right, isn't too bad. If the Carryall works into your budget, we would be glad to have you enter into the fold. Go over to the Carryall page, and check it out.

James

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
                Well, when I spoke with him about it, he jumped down from 7K to 5K. I think he'll deal, but that is a lot of work for whomever gets it.
                Ahh, well hopefully someone picks it up and takes off running with it on a nice restoration. I often wonder how many are left in the US and around the world? It would be cool to setup a registry or something like the M37 boys have to keep track of just the Carryalls.

Comment

Less than 90

There all ready is a "known" number. Last time I counted it was 63. With that said, their are some out there not on "rocks" list. WW11 Dodge forum, has a list of all known, but only accordingly to the Vin. #. So a bare frame would be counted as a known Carryall. Also others not familiar with the forum won't be on the list. My bet, is less than 100 left, and that is only 3/4 ton WC 53's, not the 1/2 tons. Yes they are desirable, and somewhat rare, that's why I buy one every time I see one. My wife said, that three is enough. Will see.

James

Comment

Looking as well

I've been lurking for a while, and am also looking for a Carryall, did you end up buying this one?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyKeffaber View Post
                      I've been lurking for a while, and am also looking for a Carryall, did you end up buying this one?
                      Nope, not me. Not sure who got it, but it did sell.

Comment

There are more out there than you think

occasionally I will go as far as posting a link on The carryall thread when I see one for sale . I ran across some guys who were in the business of restoring Carryalls up here in BC . They no longer do so . They had restored and sold about 12 of them . That is up here in the mi ddle of no where . Based on that alone I suspect there is closer tpo about 600 + carryalls floating around .
                        Figure on an average of 10 per state and the remainder are left around the planet .

Comment

Thanks Bruce. I'll keep up the search. I've followed the Carryall thread for quite a while, got distracted working on a WC12 for a year or so. Sold that and have the itch for another project.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyKeffaber View Post
                            There were two listed for sale in Oregon or Washington not too long ago. I believe I saw the listing on the power wagon classifieds. There is another for sale in Ohio also. I had to drive from Va to Louisiana back in May to get mine.

I was under the impression that there were much fewer out there than 600 or so. I've seen the same ones for sale a couple different times over the past few years that I've been looking around. There are only about 60 something on the serial number archive over on WWII dodge forum.

Comment

Front Axle Swap

Thanks for the leads. I'm still searching and thinking.... Most of the build I have thought out, but the one aspect that always makes me nervous is the front axle swap. I don't remember the stock spring perch spacing measurement, but I remember its pretty narrow. Looks like the logical options for a D60 would be the very pricey 78-79 Ford axle for a passenger side drop. Switching to a driver drop Chevy/Dodge axle seems like a lower cost solution, and still has the perch width in the 32 inch range, and the Dodge WMS at 67.50 seem the closest to the original WMS. Has anyone considered this option? I may be overlooking some steering box issues as well

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X