Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help! What is this and what do you guys think of it, Dually WC??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help! What is this and what do you guys think of it, Dually WC??

Glad to have joined you guys here! I currently have a '78 Power Wagon Adventurer SE and also have stumbled on this recently. I like old cars and trucks and love the old power wagons! I know this truck is a '42 but after that I don't know much about it. What model is it and what do you guys think it is worth?? I did check it out and I think from the other trucks I have seen here the fenders/cowl area are much better than some of the other as found pictures I have seen here. The floor does have rust under the seat area and above the windshield in the cab by the wiper compartment right next to the winch placard. Looks like it is full of a mouse nest which caused it to rust over the years:( I believe it to be an original flat bed truck which the bed is long gone. The engine looks mostly intact but the wiring is all screwed up. As you can see on the cowl someone screwed a newer 12v fuse block and ran 12v wire over the truck. Wiring was done very sloppily. I was told the truck was used for many years on a farm to run firewood. I hope you guys can shed some light on this truck and educate me as I know very little about them but am always on this site learning.

Comment

You can see the olive drab military paint peeking through even all these years later!

There are even more pictures in this album that I posted online:

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

Comment

It's a 1941 or 1942 WC Military 1/2 ton. Pre Power wagon, VC's were 1/2 tons as well and before these. VC's used the normal civilian sheetmetal where the WC's were military only. Same basic cab though with a few differences. The 3/4 ton WC's followed and share basically nothing with the VC or WC 1/2 ton series.

Here's what I see. The Garwood winch was not original.

The cab has me puzzled. Has no cowl lights or gas filler hole behind drivers door. It does have the 4 holes for the rear wire screen window protector. Are the indents or just holes? Don't see a windshield winder or hole in the dash which is military. Are there slides on the sides of the windshield frame inside? a center hook to close it? These are all military things.

One red flag is the abscense of data tags on the dash. Should be at least 4 there along with on the glovebox lid. The doors may not be original or at least someone has changed them to 2 piece door glass. Military doors have metal inserts on the doors inner side(where handles are) and NO metal u cover to go over the top of a Civy cardboard door panel.

Take a pic of the door latch pin on the jamb. The military 1 1/2 ton cabs had the 39 door latch system most times. That "may" be what you have.

Anytime you deal with this stuff you have to remember what they were "supposed" to have and what they used sometimes got blurred. Anything is possible with Dodge as they were just getting trucks out with what they had.

Plenty of rust there and typical cab breaks as it looks like this one was defintely used off road on some twistys.

If you want to go back with original bed, rear fenders are hard to find. front end sheetmetal looks pretty good as you say. Any pics of the rod mount on the cab where it comes from the core support?

Do you have the serial number that's on the frame? It's behind the front tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin in Ohio View Post
          It's a 1941 or 1942 WC Military 1/2 ton. Pre Power wagon, VC's were 1/2 tons as well and before these. VC's used the normal civilian sheetmetal where the WC's were military only. Same basic cab though with a few differences. The 3/4 ton WC's followed and share basically nothing with the VC or WC 1/2 ton series.

Here's what I see. The Garwood winch was not original.

The cab has me puzzled. Has no cowl lights or gas filler hole behind drivers door. It does have the 4 holes for the rear wire screen window protector. Are the indents or just holes? Don't see a windshield winder or hole in the dash which is military. Are there slides on the sides of the windshield frame inside? a center hook to close it? These are all military things.

One red flag is the abscense of data tags on the dash. Should be at least 4 there along with on the glovebox lid. The doors may not be original or at least someone has changed them to 2 piece door glass. Military doors have metal inserts on the doors inner side(where handles are) and NO metal u cover to go over the top of a Civy cardboard door panel.

Take a pic of the door latch pin on the jamb. The military 1 1/2 ton cabs had the 39 door latch system most times. That "may" be what you have.

Anytime you deal with this stuff you have to remember what they were "supposed" to have and what they used sometimes got blurred. Anything is possible with Dodge as they were just getting trucks out with what they had.

Plenty of rust there and typical cab breaks as it looks like this one was defintely used off road on some twistys.

If you want to go back with original bed, rear fenders are hard to find. front end sheetmetal looks pretty good as you say. Any pics of the rod mount on the cab where it comes from the core support?

Do you have the serial number that's on the frame? It's behind the front tire.
          No dice on the serial number on the cab :( If I would have known I would have gotten the numbers. I also don't have any pics of the rod mount, just what I took and posted on the forum. Thanks for the reply! The dots behind the cab window are holes and not just indents. Any one else see anything?

Comment

I thought I noticed a relatively new fuse/buse panel mounted on the fire wall?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
              I thought I noticed a relatively new fuse/buse panel mounted on the fire wall?

Yeah and a pretty bad install at that. Wires where truncated and then just left hanging and not even capped.

Comment

Thats the correct cab look a the four holes around the rear window. There should be a mesh screen screwed over the glass. And it should not have cowl lights or a fuel fill behind the drivers door as the fuel tank was at the rear of the truck under the bed. Look right by he front shock mount and see if he frame has been broken seems like all the half tons break there. Looks like lots of rust to me but I'm in northern montana we don't get rust like that up here thank God.

Comment

I also noticed that it did have the little prop arms for the windshield but it looks like they have been removed or broken a some time. It's also missing one blackout light on the passenger side. But it does still have its rear bumperettes and they aren't all smushed in. The front bumper loos good and straight for its age. Id buy it it's a flat fender. There's nothin finer no matter how far gone it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X