41 wc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 wc

Guys I'm new to this forum and I'm thinking of getting a WC to restore. I've restored several other vehicles, but this will be my first military type. What do you guys this of this 41 WC? It's local for me which is nice. The guy is asking about $6K, which seems a tad high, but I wanted feedback on that. It runs and seems to be fairly complete.

http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/...annerMP44/41PW

Originally posted by NP2650 View Post
    Guys I'm new to this forum and I'm thinking of getting a WC to restore. I've restored several other vehicles, but this will be my first military type. What do you guys this of this 41 WC? It's local for me which is nice. The guy is asking about $6K, which seems a tad high, but I wanted feedback on that. It runs and seems to be fairly complete.

http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/...annerMP44/41PW
    It really looks pretty good. Nice sheet metal and not butchered in any way, or so it appears from these photos.

Have you gotten to actually see it and touch it? You can spend a lot of money repairing bad sheet metal, or buying missing parts. Ignore the price for the moment and just evaluate the truck.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I got my hands on it today and spend a couple hours going over it. The body is in decent shape. A few dents/dings on the ends of the fenders, but nothing serious. Only a bit of rust here and there; nothing major. It apparently has been kept inside since the 60s and essentially it's been in storage for last 25 years. The engine runs and fairly well, but at a minimum needs to be freshened up. Brake hydraulics are shot. Drive train appears solid. It looks pretty complete and it hasn't been bubba'd. It is missing the following:

Speedometer
      Water temp gauge
      Ignition switch
      Windshield wiper switch
      Steering wheel trim
      Plate on cab floor (goes around shifter, parking brake, etc)
      Air filter
      Spare tire and rim
      Ribs that go between the floor boards in the bed
      Any/all bracing for the top

I'm not sure if any of these are difficult or expensive parts to replace. I'd like a little input on this and what a fair price might be for this one.

Comment

It does seem to be in really good shape, from the looks of it (as best I can tell from the photos). I didn't spot any areas of rust-through or any major dents, so that's a good sign. In fact, I didn't even spot any surface rust, except on the engine, although it can be hard to see in photos. If you can see for yourself that it's in good enough condition to run, drive, stop and steer safely, then the asking price may not be too far out of line, and if the owner was driving and using it on a regular basis, then even more so. But that's just my opinion, as I'm not an expert on pricing, by any means. As Gordon pointed out, if can be costly to replace or repair components, especially sheet metal, so if this truck is in good shape, then that can save money in that regard.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't say that it will run, drive, stop and steer safely. Engine runs, but won't idle (carb needs some work). No brakes so I couldn't drive it to fully check the running gear and steering.

Comment

Working...
          X