Frame Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Swap?

Found an ad for for a 1941 cab and front sheet metal, no frame or bed. I was curious if anyone had tried to mount a WC cab on a newer frame? The frame would need to be relatively flat, probably something from the 1970's. The wheel base is pretty easy to alter, but I'm not sure if the engine placement would also need to be moved in relation to the front axle centerline. Even in the '70's the engine may be further forward in the frame. Not a huge issue to move the engine around a bit either, just curious if any one else has looked at this.

ben done

There is a red 41 that shows up on "the power wagon page' that has a lot of stainless on it . it is on a chevy frame mid to 70 to 80 s . I would use a one ton 4x4 frame because it is bigger guage than the 1/2 or 3/4 ton .

Seen the WCs on Ford and dodge frames too . The Ford frame worked quite well . the Dodge did not look as good but I thought it was the builder and not the frame that made it look poopy .

Comment

Might be easier

Thanks Bruce, I found the red one, and I think we may have seen the same 41 on the Dodge frame, seem like a lot of the frame was showing under the cab, I wasn't sure if it was the frame his selected or if he liked the body lift. Looks like the Ford frame from 1973-79 lays pretty flat, and interestingly, the short box wheelbase in 116. I think you moved your front axle forward a little to center the wheels on your truck. I think Alx64 got his frame pretty straight, but maybe an Carryall would drop on a ford frame as well? I don't think ford made a short box 1 ton, but you might be able to just move the rear spring hangers forward and cut off the back of the frame easier that taking the section out of the middle, if the frame is as flat as the pictures I've seen

Comment

I put a 41 WC on a 1981 chevy short bed frame, had to do a little work to the back of the cab and recess the radiator support in to the front crossmember. It worked fine, the engine stayed in the stock position had power steering and made a very reliable 1/2 ton truck with 3/4 ton running gear.

Comment

if your referring to this truck good luck tryin to fit a civilian cab with a military nose on a 72 snocommander frame in a 1 car garage and no budget it aint as easy as you might think.

Originally posted by TonyKeffaber View Post
          Thanks Bruce, I found the red one, and I think we may have seen the same 41 on the Dodge frame, seem like a lot of the frame was showing under the cab, I wasn't sure if it was the frame his selected or if he liked the body lift. Looks like the Ford frame from 1973-79 lays pretty flat, and interestingly, the short box wheelbase in 116. I think you moved your front axle forward a little to center the wheels on your truck. I think Alx64 got his frame pretty straight, but maybe an Carryall would drop on a ford frame as well? I don't think ford made a short box 1 ton, but you might be able to just move the rear spring hangers forward and cut off the back of the frame easier that taking the section out of the middle, if the frame is as flat as the pictures I've seen

Comment

Power Panel

It has been a bit of a challenge, but I'm attempting to build a a Dodge panel truck with a Power Wagon front clip. I really wanted a carryall to build, but couldn't find one in my budget. It's sitting on a 1977 F150 frame than seems to fit very well. I wanted to get it further along before I posted any pictures, just to make sure everything was going to fit and work, everything is good in the back, looks like a tight squeeze on the radiator right now, but a bit tough to gauge on the milk crate mock up so far.
            Attached Files

Comment

I like it. Post some more pics.

Comment

Will do. I check the carryall thread every day for updates, I'm sit in amazement at the skills you guys have. Fabricating diesels into original frames, Alex cutting axles in half a welding different ends on. I knew I wouldn't be able to do all that. I have a lot to learn and a lot to do, but its fun and as I (slowly) make progress I get some more pictures as I go

Comment

looks like a carryall to me

close enough and who knows you might add some Carryall windows from a rusted out hulk at some point . So if you want a forum to post on I doubt anyone would be upset if your rig was posted on the Carryall thread , i for one think panels fit right in with the Carryalls - or keep this thread running if you can . Most threads by single posters peeter out after awhile . The carryall thread has a few posters keeping it alive .

Comment

Looking good!
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Electrolysis

Thanks for the words of support, and I'll post the next round of pictures on the carryall thread, I use it daily to get ideas to I can hopefully start contributing something. Pictures might be a while, I broke down the front clip and started de-rusting parts. My expectations may have been a bit high, but I expected it to blast rust away. I'm using a heavy duty charger, drawing about 8 amps and 10 gauge line to the part and the anode. I left the radiator support in for 24 hours, and while 99% of the rust is gone, I have a lot of paint that didn't come off. The mix I used was 1 oz washing soda to 1 gallon water, and 1 oz TSP to 4 gallons water. I'm I just impatient or is my solution off? Or is the paint actually tougher than the rust, and I need to strip the paint first? I did have a lot of gunk in the bottom of the tank, maybe I "filled up" the anode?

Still having fun though......

Comment

response on the Carryall thread ntx

ntx

Comment

Truck looks great! You sure have been busy over the past 4 months! I am looking forward to seeing how this thing turns out!
                          1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Working...
                          X