wc52 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wc52 no spark

A friend of mine has a wc51 or 52 that's been sitting for about 15 years, it cranks but has no spark, I checked out the points, filed them a little to remove some corrosion, tried swapping in a different coil, no luck. the truck hasn't been restored and the wiring is pretty shot so I tried using a 12 volt coil wired independantly of the crumbling original harness, still no luck, any suggestions?

Hotwire the sucker

Power the coil directly from the battery. Drop in a new battery. Clip a small lead on the positive of the new Batt to the positive terminal on the coil.
    Ascertain that you are getting spark to the points by putting a screwdriver between the contacts, twisting, and looking for spark.
    - you can assume the gap is correct for now. Check the rotor, the inside of the cap for cracks and dust, then crank it by depressing the starter button on the starter.
    This method shortcuts the ignition switch and should fire the truck right up. To turn it off, remove the small jumper.
    -Been a while. This is what I used to do when I was a kid. Am I missing anything?

Comment

Take some pictures

We want to see the truck! Take some photos--all sides, markings, unusual things, etc. Thanks!

Comment

ignition

Got it fixed, turns out that 20 year old chevy coils aren't always good, bought one for a slant 6, now there's spark, won't light on gas.though. I pulled the valve covers and turned it over by hand, none of them appear to be stuck, I'm thinking compression test is next. I can'tpost pictures on here, the truck is fairly rough. but mostly there, lots of pipe welded into the bed and the cowl and front fenders have a lot of rust.

Comment

Working...
        X