Boxing Frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Frames

Question for all of you who have boxed the WC frame. What did you do where the top and bottom portions of the frame are not the same width?

I am resto-moding a WC-53. Like Alex I came to the conclusion that the stock radiator cross member had to go for steering clearance, and I am going to have to design a new crossmember. In that area of the frame particularly, the top is 2-1/2 inches wide and the bottom is 2 inches wide. I see a few options:

1. Weld the boxing in on an angle, which I see as the wrong answer
    2. Cut the top to 2 inches
    3. Weld the boxing in straight and let the extra material hang over.

One thing I want when welding in the boxing plate is for it to go to the outer frame and not the inner frame. I don't trust the inner frame to have any structural integrity. If I go with the last option I will cut the inner frame so I am welding to the outer frame.

Did the civilians have the inner frame or was that only a WC thing?

Part of the reason this is important to figure out is the steering box needs to mount in this location.

Thanks for any input,
    Chris

The civilian trucks had the double frame too. Runs from the front to the third crossmember behind the cab.

I don't really see the issue with welding them on at the angle formed by the offset other than anything you attach to that has to compensate for the angle, but as far as strength goes not sure there's any real difference for the purposes you are aiming for, but that's just my instinct, haven't done any math to back it up, but I hesitate to cut away any material I don't have to.

Key will be making sure you waterproof the inside well. You will have created a perfect place to develop really bad frame rust if you use the truck in anything other than perfect weather.

Comment

I didn't weld that portion of my frame actually. Mine is welded all the way up to the back of the steering box mount and then the box actually mounts to the outside frame plate and I have a bolted on cross member. All of the mounts on my truck are bolted to the frame and the only welds to the frame are the actual boxing plates. I used Nickel Monel blended TIG rods to perform the welding and used A36 steel since I knew it was easily weldable, didn't have much of a heat embrittlement concern and the frames... I noticed during welding and fabrication, were very much impregnated with impurities in the steel.

I can try and find my front plate designs and such. Same for my cross member. I just created weld on ribs that my grill shell attaches to. It prevents the use of the stock radiators but it allows the steering box to live inside the neutral axis of the front cross member. I also have my Cummins mounted on the front cross member that is bolted on through the frame rails.
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Heres some pictures of my boxing process

You can see the steering arm location in this one.

Comment

Depending on your time frame, I could possibly cut and ship you the front cross member, steering box mounts, and ORI mounts if you were interested. Are you going with leaf springs or links up front?

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, it's a big help. I'll keep you posted as to what I do. I need to get some pictures up, progress has been slow but it is being made.
            Thanks for the offer Alex. I got the same style steering box that you are running out of a wrecking yard and made a bracket to get myself started. It will probably change as all the pieces come together. I came up with a cross member design that I am going to try out in the next couple of weeks that I am excited about. My goal is to use the original radiator support.
            Stuffing a modern hemi in this truck has it's own challenges. It is a really wide block, I think wider than a 360. The heads interfere with the stock steering column location and it really makes the steering box tight. But I will get it to work.

I'm running links up front with 2015 Ram 2500 coils. Links and spring buckets are all made and heavy tacked in place. It's looking really good. It articulates well, but I think the upper link is too short. I may change it before I am done but for now it is keeping the front end in place. Still have to install the panhard rod which comes with the steering, and I have an 01 Ram 2500 sway bar that should fit. After all that I go to motor and tranny mounts.

Comment

Working...
            X