No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, since I have the body off of mine, I am once again playing the "fitment" game of what should go where and in what order should I build... only to determine, as I feared, that it all has to go together at the same time. I figure that the exhaust is a big item that has to be routed. I hate it when exhaust systems have all kinds of obscene bends in them because they were considered last and after the fact. I would prefer this system to be clean, straight as possible, and require minimal bending. That being the case, its a fairly predictable route, straight back along the passenger's side frame rail. Since I am the oddball and went with a driver's side transfer case, I have less things in the way, ie front driveshaft, to have to clearance past. I also want to take the exhaust all the way back and have it exit behind the rear wheel since in Virginia, inspectors and even the State police are very strict on the exit point for the exhaust system.

Because I have the room, and I am planning on tweaking the engine tune later down the road, I decided on going with 3" stainless. The other funny thing is that its cheaper than the 2.5" stainless.. Only thing I can figure is because 2.5" stainless is the big bad nasty stuff in the car turbo, "sport tuner" cough rice burner world and its too small to be common in the Diesel truck world so its an odd ball in between. Anyways, 3" stainless requires some adaptation to my turbo charger. The turbo down pipe on my engine is a weird size (British Cummins) so I had to machine the face of the V band clamp down just a hair to index inside the turbo outlet. Then in order to adapt from the 2.5" V band (because of the clamp size, not outlet size) I made a neat little stainless ring that basically allows a piece of 3" to be welded to the V band adapter.

Used the plasma cutter to knock out a rough circle from some 3/16" thick 304 plate.

Spun it on the lathe to clean up the ID and then used the jaws backwards to Jam it and cleaned up the outside. Perfect fit on the downtube and it indexed perfectly to my machined Vband adapter. Took it one block over to my old College buddy, handed him some SS TIG rods and a Beer and he melted them both together for me.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Also, as most are familiar, these New Process cases are heavy beasts of burden. I needed a good sharp way to fit mine as best as possible so I came up with a nice adjustable solution that allows me to get all my drivetrain angles right and locate the case in a spot where I can get it up between the floor stringers and cross members, etc.

Comment

• Exhaust exit

I think the stock location is in front of the passenger rear tire. Convincing some highway patrol officer that this is the stock location would be problematic. I wanted the exhaust to exit behind the rear tire but too many things are in the way . So I dumped the pipe out in front of the tire in what I hope is the stock location. I had a copy of the original Carryall blue print, not sure where it ended up. Beautiful drawing, which I was going to tweak with my modified specs. May do that yet .
        I like your wiggle joint on your transfer case.
        Got a site for you to index .
        http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/
        You may need a boss fitting, part number 6801-04-02-FG . This is a special right angle adapter that helps you get a hydro boost to fit in a Power Wagon. Many of the conversions have the hydro boost flipped to clear the engine. This puts the low pressure outlet pointing right at the engine. The adapter cures this problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
          Got a site for you to index .
          http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/
          You may need a boss fitting, part number 6801-04-02-FG . This is a special right angle adapter that helps you get a hydro boost to fit in a Power Wagon. Many of the conversions have the hydro boost flipped to clear the engine. This puts the low pressure outlet pointing right at the engine. The adapter cures this problem.
          I remember looking for one of those! I can get away without it but it is tight. Might just order one when it's time to put the truck back together. It's a low pressure line so the pipe nipple would be fine, but I could make that work too.

The exhaust talk got me looking since I may not title mine as an antique. Looks like I'll be OK under "normal" laws since I have a truck. It has to be behind the "passenger carying area of the vehicle" to the rear or the sides. Which is good because going out the back would not be pretty.

Comment

• Alex, be weary of Canadians try you slip you a nipple...lol

Comment

• Well, looks like I need to get rid of that most recent Carryall salvation... work burnt me again on the "end of year adjustments" and I need to buy parts for my current project. See the for sale section if anyone is interested. And yes, I know a lot of you know what I paid for it so please don't be upset if I try to break even on it.

Comment

• 36X12.50R16 Super Swamper TSL/SX on a combat wheel... Tires were pretty bald until I hit them with the Van Alstine Groover. These are going on the Carryall that I am going to sell. Better condition tire than whats on there now considering the inner tubes are bulging out through the dry rot holes in the sidewalls.

25 pounds of air... not ballooning out like I was warned it would at all..

Comment

• Those look vicious Alex. Of course you'll hear from those who will say the tire and wheel are a dangerous combination. Just accept that their advice comes from an abundance of caution and nod your head.

I presume you're not putting these on an Indy car, yes? 25 psi ought to do a nice job of holding up each corner of the carryall.

You could probably fund most of your build by making those studs for others less blessed with machining skills.

Comment

• Alex,

The Tire and Wheel work is amazing, The repairs you made to the wheels, and then bringing some good off road use back to some wild tires just sets them off. Great work, and keep it coming.

I still can't get over the work you do, and how you brought some new life to these tires and wheels. Regardless of the grief some over at the other site give you, based on your work and actions, you know what you are doing, and why and what they will be used for.

God Bless,
                    Will
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• Nice job Alex. I am actually surprised at the way they look. I have heard for so long that these sized tires can't be run on our Budd rims. I expected to see them much more ballooned out than they are. They look great. Can't wait to see them mounted on the Carryall and hear a report on how they drive.

Comment

• hydroboost return fitting part two

I took the old one and adjusted it to fit my needs. A took a Chevy head bolt and cut it off just under the head. The bolt has a nice flair that will help the hose seal. I drilled it out to about 1/4 ID and then attached it to the old fitting at a 45 degree angle. It is a good idea to tighten the old fitting and index it so that the modified fitting would aim in the right direction.
                        After this was all done I found out that some ford hydroboost fittings come with a right angle boss fitting.
                        My local parts guy stocked power steering hose for the return lines. This made for a nice change of pace, I did have to go twice, the young guy said they only had fuel hose. On day two I was there for something else and asked the old **** about hose. " We have power steering hose, it is even marked"
                        Attached Files

Comment

• NOS rear window winders on ebay

They are listed at $325.00 . Be interesting to see how long they remain up for sale. That is the starting bid, price is for a pair .
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/WC-Dodge-Car...806b1a&vxp=mtr

Comment

• Looks like John at MWM is selling the treasures he acquired in AK...these would be the last of the last...

Comment

• Well the scary blue one is out and driving around. Runs pretty good at the moment feeding it off of a boat type fuel tank setup. Brakes kinda sorta work. They need bleeding I believe. Truck still needs more attention but I feel like its at a little bit better of a saving point now.

It can be yours! Look for it in the for sale section. Has a good title, and all that fun stuff.

Comment

• Alex, somewhere there is a person warming up their cutting torch I fear....

Comment

Working...
                                X