The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC53 stuff on ebay

might be worth a look if they are close by.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-DODGE-W...45e304&vxp=mtr

Comment

• I've been all over the place lately, both in life and on my project as well as various other projects. Been helping a couple friends out with their Jeep / Truck builds for the spring time so been busy there. Mine, all I have been up to lately is a little more exhaust work as my muffler showed up. Its essentially a glorified 5" stainless glass pack but its got a nice vintage look to it so I went with it. Its the 3"x5"x24" Vintage Round muffler from Stainlessworks.net... I don't have a picture of it at the moment.

The other thing my wandering brain has been concerned over lately is cleaning up the rear hitch and that area.

At my grandparents farm there sat for 30 years an old IH 1600 Loadstar Cattle truck. My dad was the last person to drive the truck in like '83 and the truck had been sitting there as long as I had known of it. Last summer, a friend of mine saw the truck and fell in love with it so my Grandfather ended up giving it to him. While we were moving the truck we found on the floorboard a pintle hitch... the correct pintle hitch for my Carryall... I asked my dad about it and he said an old farmer had given it to him on the very last day he drove the truck before parking it and he tossed it on the floor and honestly never thought about it again for the most part. He was going to attach it to the back of the Loadstar to pull a hay wagon or something. It never came to fruition as the truck was replaced with a larger truck and as it is on many farms, this one became one with the trees and pasture grass. Fast forward 30 years and I now have the EXACT purpose for the hitch to reinstall it back onto the correct truck... Very very strange. So with that in mind I want to make the pintle function as a quick change in a 2" reciever hitch. In order to get the hitch pin in and out easier I am building a long handle that I can actuate from the side of the truck similar to my B&W turnover gooseneck hitch in my Mega Cab.

I cut out the old hitch that Lee had welded in and found where some holes had been patched with body filler... fun. I did NOT get that out of control with the torch. This was stuff that was already there and now I get to fix... lovely.

The other thing I have been up to is day dreaming about my fuel tank. I've been thinking and reading and researching, etc etc and have decided I am just going to build a nice steel tank and not worry with the costs of stainless, or the fatigue and welding issues of aluminum. I am not trying to save a ton of weight for racing, and honestly I like the thought of the steel tank that if I run over something and it smacks the bottom of it its just going to dent it at most and not stress a bunch of aluminum welds, etc. I'll just have it coated by a tank prep company and be done with it. Probably just build it out of 18 gauge sheet that I bead roll in a few spots to add some rigidity and add a few baffle webs inside of it. Easy stuff.
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Fuel tank

I have run a regular steel tank in my Diesel Willys jeep for many years, the last time I looked in there ( to mess with the fuel sender) there was no corrosion to speak of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Olson View Post
          I have run a regular steel tank in my Diesel Willys jeep for many years, the last time I looked in there ( to mess with the fuel sender) there was no corrosion to speak of.
          Awesome! I have pretty much sold myself on just going with a steel tank and having it coated by a local marine shop. There are plenty of those places around. The steel tank with a few beads rolled in it will look more appropriate under the truck anyways.

I'm waiting on some exhaust parts. A friend is a vendor and said that he can get me a deal on some stuff. It was cheaper, but the wait is much longer and now its reached the point that I would have just paid more to have already had the parts in hand.

In the mean time, while I am waiting on other stuff to show up I figured I'd work on the hitch details some more. Since the 2" reciever is going to be flush mount with the rear of the frame, the hitch pin will become out of reach/ way up under the truck. To alleviate that issue I am building a spring loaded assembly like my B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch in my Mega Cab.

Waiting on the spring to come in. Am going to thread the non slotted end of the shell tubing and thread on a nut that will hold the compression spring (and a washer) against the roll pin. Then a linkage will connect to the hitch pull pin and can be reached behind the right rear fender. The larger tube will be welded to the face of the reciever slug tubing and the whole thing will be one nice clean mechanism. I figure I'll also add a grease fitting to the outer pin guide tube as well. I thought about going with the driver's side but I don't want to mess with much over there since the fuel lines, brake lines, and fuel filler will all be over there.

Comment

• Ok I am making progress .....sort of

Picked up a quart of rescue green or as some have called it baby diaper pea green - the plan stands as stated earlier, the truck is not going to be shiny or high end - but the body will more or less be rescue green and the fenders black . Some of the original patina will show through the rescue green . I would like to paint the interior silver and then top coat it in that green colour that was used in aircraft - and then have the silver show through here and there. but I am a ways from that yet .

Loaded the power steering system with fluid - static test shows no leaks to date.
            Cooling system is sort of plumbed and ready for fluid .
            Brake line plumbing is done but not loaded to date.
            Made a template and am having some rear tempered glass made for the lift gate .
            Need to notch an inner fender for power steering line clearance.
            Up to my yang yang with visits to the Doctor, surgery, rescue training and domestic house stuff, I want to work on the Carryall but the next 3 days are toast. Getting close to that test fire .

Alec show us an update of the pintle hook when you get it in , that is very nice work you are doing. Nice shop tools you have there too.

You guys take care- we are not playing with our stuff enough

edit - rear tailgate locks on ebay.........$300.oo

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post

Up to my yang yang with visits to the Doctor, surgery, rescue training and domestic house stuff, I want to work on the Carryall but the next 3 days are toast. Getting close to that test fire .

Alec show us an update of the pintle hook when you get it in , that is very nice work you are doing. Nice shop tools you have there too.

You guys take care- we are not playing with our stuff enough
              Bruce, best wishes on the medical stuff. Keep us all updated and I know its a long stretch but if you need something and somehow we can help, I am sure there are lots of folks in this community that would gladly step in and help.

Thanks for the kind words on the pintle stuff. Its moving along slowly. I am sure most have seen in the other thread that I got the hitch spring and pins all working. The quick release pin is coming together as the parts show up. Fingers crossed that today is a productive day on the Carryall. I've been fabricating specialty tools for my day job over the weekend which I have mixed emotions about. I'm Salary so I am not getting paid to fab, but when I get to use what I built every day at work its kinda cool... and see other people use it too.

Hitch pin with a 7/8-9 thin nylock to hold the spring.

Comment

• Finally cracked into this motor of mine. Previous owner claimed the salvage yard that he bought it from told him that it had 83k miles on it. I'd be impressed if it was that much. This thing is CLEAN inside. Still has the bluing on the crank from original hot forming.

You can see the cam lobes and there are zero indications of any sort of valve train wear. Motor is essentially new. Very pleased.

Also started to hack into the oil pan for the notch so that the diff housing has room at full suspension compression. Not going to need much, but does need a little clearance. Plus side number 11,000 of going with a driver's side differential for my application. The sump tube is on the passenger's side of the pan leaving me plenty of room for the notch for the diff housing.

Comment

• Started on the oil pan notch.. lets see how this goes...

Comment

• That new TIG should make it much easier, did mine with the MIG, and it took a few tries to get it water tight. Had to extend the pickup tube too, hope its enough, not as easy to flex my suspension.

Comment

• Heres a mess of parts that is mostly a whole truck in Cali...

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4360481046.html

Comment

• Looks like a good deal

Considering the time and cost of body work , this truck looks to be a good deal for someone . I will see if i can get more pictures.

Comment

• Alex that Carryall did not last long.

Ad has been pulled . I wrote the guy and asked for pictures but the Carryall was sold before he had need to fire any off. Would have been nice to have shots fom all four sides and the interior too. Had a small block Chevy in it and widened bead locks. Also there was a mod in front of the radiator that was hard to figure out what it was for.
                          The break in the front fender was a bit unusual , almost looked like a flip up front end .

thanks for the lead
                          Bruce

Comment

• Psssss , here is another Carryall , beautiful thing in it's prime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Power-...b17576&vxp=mtr

Desert cooked, a few bits missing and a few rare bits are still there. Check it out before it is gone.

edit; $2500.oo

Comment

• All I can say Is WOW.

Comment

• Said goodbye to another one.

Tetanus the Menace is on its way to its new owner for a full restoration.

Also, in the mean time I am in the process of selling my home and moving... and its apearing to be nearly impossible to find a new place with a garage that even holds a candle to mine. Not sure what or where I am going to store my stuff. Really at a loss here. My wife wants to move, plain and simple... So off we go. My life, this truck, etc will be put on hold while we prep the house to sell and then ya'll cross your fingers that we find some place that I can continue on with this project. I'll be heart broken if I am forced to sell it all.

Comment

Working...
                                X